National Make a Blanket Day

SoCalDonna

Hi:

I posted this message on the thread from Ro regarding having a blanket crochet along, and thought it might be useful to post it here as well.

I wondered if any of you had heard that Saturday February 19 is "National Make a Blanket Day 2005." Here's the link:

http://www.projectlinus.org/mabd.htm

This is being sponsored by Project Linus and Janome. Project Linus accepts not just quilts, but also knitted and crocheted blankets for needy children. It might be a fun day for friends to get together and work on some blanket projects. You could donate to a Project Linus in your area, or any charity of your choosing. I'm hoping to get together with my quilting friends, but if that's not possible, I'm still going to dedicate the day to working on a baby quilt for my local pregnancy clinic (for now, I'm better at quilting than I am at crocheting!).

Pass it along!! :blah

Donna L. :heart

:h-val

I was glad to find out about it too because I had heard of it but didn't know the date! Can you imagine how many kids would get blankies if everyone made one on Saturday???:)h

:cloud9

Thank you for telling us about this! :clap

hugs

Ro

blankiealong3.jpg

Hi again:

This is apparently an annual event and I had just heard about it a week ago. Maybe next year, we'll have more time to plan ahead and get friends together for a blankie-making party!

:f-1 Or maybe Ro could choose a pattern ahead of time (not too hard please!) for a blankie-along special event--what do you think? :wink

Hi again Donna L. !

I think a blankie-along special event would be wonderful! :cloud9 The blanket wouldn't have to be difficult, even just a travel-blankie sized big granny square!

One of my favorite hospitals to donate to, The Cleveland Clinic pediatric Oncology/hematology ward, loves to give blankets to kids having chemo starts; they bring them to and from treatment and get such comfort from them. They don't have to be big to do the job well!

If anyone wants to make a blankie to send to them or to another hospital, just let me know! I have address info for St. Jude, CS Mott at the U of M, and others too! Of course blankies for any cause or charity are wonderful!

I would love to start a Linus chapter locally but with not being able to drive due to MS and all, I think that I wouldn't qualify or be able to handle all their paperwork and recruiting.

It's so sweet of you to suggest that I pick a pattern...any pattern would be just fine, for a simple one here's a great single granny square one from Lionbrand!

Grand Granny Square Afghan

I like to make them really squishy by using two strands of yarn together, (this pattern calls for chunky yarn but I like to use softer yarn doubled) they work up so fast! You could make it half the size of the pattern one (which is 52" square) and it'd make a great blankie for a child. That's pretty much how I did this one...

Picture_202.jpg

Even if folks don't want to do anything this year, you're right, maybe next year there can be a special blankie making day or event! :) That would make me :danc :woohoo

I hope this post makes sense I'm multi-tasking and that is never a good idea for me LOL.

hugs

Ro

Hi, Ro:

I visited your website, Project Sherwood Forest. I'm so sorry to hear of your losses, and I'm so amazed and inspired to hear of how you've turned those losses into such positive energy! :angel What a wonderful tribute to your two little angels-- :hug

Thanks for the suggestion for the big granny square using two strands of yarn. That looks like something I could actually do, and I'm excited to start one--

You sound like a wonderful lady with a very sweet heart!

Also, if you turn your blanket in to a participating Janome dealer by Feb. 28, you're automatically entered into a drawing to win a new Janome sewing machine. Every blanket turned in goes to Project Linus, and gives you another ticket to win. The link posted earlier can help you to find Janome dealers in your area, but you should probably call the store first before going in, to make sure they're participating in the Make a Blanket Day event.

I started a giant granny square blankie, as Ro suggested, and it looks great so far, but I'm a slow crocheter. It's about 12 inches square right now, and I'm using the Lion Brand Baby Soft in pastel colors. This is my First Ever crocheted blanket (yes, I'm a blankie virgin!), and so far, so good! :))

Have a great week! Donna L. :heart

:clap Yay, Donna L. on your achievement of working on your first blanket! :) The warm fuzzy feeling that you get from knowing someone will snuggle something you made and be comforted is addictive, I warn you! Your first blankie probably won't be your last.

I made a 28" square blankie starting on Saturday and finished it today (had some unexpected things come up that delayed progress) I will have to see if I can find a local Janome dealer to drop it off to! I was going to send it to one of my usual places but it would be nice to donate to Linus this time around :)

Can't wait to hear how your blanket comes out Donna!!!

hugs

Ro

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to let you know what happen here locally on that day. My friend, Sally, who heads up the Project Linus chapter here, said she received 1300 quilts between 2 locations. Now she has the fun of processing them, but she is not complaining.

Archived