Lurex and winding

deneen

Question

I purchased a small hank of gold lurex thread and don't have any idea how to wind it to make a usable ball of thread. I don't have a swift, but do have a ball winder. This is so thin, I have no idea what to do-any suggestions???

2 answers to this question

I purchased a small hank of gold lurex thread and don't have any idea how to wind it to make a usable ball of thread. I don't have a swift, but do have a ball winder. This is so thin, I have no idea what to do-any suggestions???

It's thin, but it's pretty durable. I've been able to wind it up on my ball winder with little difficulty, both with and without other fiber.

Are you just looking to wind it up into a usable ball by itself or with something else?

I'd take the hank and put it over your knee or something (not sure how big it is), and then slowly wind it up on the ball winder. I tried putting a toilet paper roll on my ball winder and then wound the lurex onto it, but that didn't work out so well.

I generally keep tension on the lurex with one hand and wind with the other, just to help clear out any kinks.

I have no idea if this helped! Good luck! mmm lurex. :manyheart

Archived