Drops Design Crochet Dress

harmonise

Question

This is the first time using a pattern in UK terms. GarnStudio/Drops Design Crochet Dress (child version)....I have loved everything from them i have ever seen but never thought I could follow the UK terms...I thought this would be pretty simple...... :no but it has proven to be challenging enough. I've gotten through the front piece as I think it is written but seem to be missing the second strap :eek....can someone help me find what I'm missing? have i overlooked something in the instructions? That has happened during this pattern, they don't tell you to ch at the end of each row, they include that as a "given" at the beginning of the pattern, i just overlooked it...I really love the way this is turning out and it is relatively simple once you understand the language barrier (english <> english) :lol I face the same problem at work some days (I work for a British-owned banking company)! FYI, I'm using Sinfonia and the gauge is a perfect match for the Paris version!!

6 answers to this question

I've admired their patterns and would like to make one. I printed one off and read through it and gave up before I even started. I wish they could translate them completely to American/English crochet. :(

I hear you, it looks so simple in the picture...but i almost gave up when i couldn't figure out if i was supposed to add an additional chain before the first stitch of the second row of if that was included in the chain count they gave...Oh my goodness, now I can't remember which it was and I still have to do the back!!!! I have made other notes but not that!! YIKES!!! I emailed them about what appeared to be a count typo and in the strap and got a big thank you in a very short turnaround. I'm not going to give up....

:cheer These patterns are not written in traditional "English" terms. It is more like they were written in another European language and translated into English.

:think I have also read through a few of the patterns and decided they are too hard to follow.

:think Could be that my brain is getting too old and rusty but I think they are worded very wierdly and not very "English" at all.

I have been using "English" patterns for over 50 years so I should be able to follow the "Drops" patterns but I cant.

Even the name sounds "Un-English"

Sorry, this is no help to you at all and I sincerely hope you find out what you need to know so you can complete your pretty little dress.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

I couldn't see where in the pattern they tell you to make the other strap. But if you continue and finish the one strap you're working on, you should be able to figure out where to join a new piece of yarn and to the other strap.

I think these patterns are written in Norwegian and then translated. Sometimes you just have to try to figure out what needs to be done and then try to do it......

I couldn't see where in the pattern they tell you to make the other strap. But if you continue and finish the one strap you're working on, you should be able to figure out where to join a new piece of yarn and to the other strap.

I think these patterns are written in Norwegian and then translated. Sometimes you just have to try to figure out what needs to be done and then try to do it......

This was going to be my fallback...Just wanted to see if others saw something I didn't. There is one part that says to do x# of stitches on both sides and refers to the center x stitches so I will just count over and attach, I've done this before on other dresses and tops. I rarely follow a pattern completely anyway so this hasn't slowed me down (much). I can't wait to see how this looks on my dd when it's done. She's SOOO excited about it loves the way the Sinfonia feels against her skin when I'm measuring it against her.

Thanks everyone for your input....I would highly recommend trying this pattern if you've never done a Drops Design before, it really is rather simple and I can offer my notes also.

blessings,

Archived