stumped! "working in front of dc just made..."

Virginia Fox

Question

I just started this beautiful afghan... I fell in love with the picture and purchased all the yarn. It is labeled "easy", so I didn't think I would have any problem until ROW 1!!!!!

It says: Ch 196; place markers in third and fourth chs from hook. THEN,

"DC in 6th ch and in 7th ch from hook, Ch 1, working in FRONT of dc just made, dc in second marked ch, remove marker, skip next 2 chs, dc in next 2 chs, ch 1, working in front of dc just made, dc in first skipped ch; repeat....."

I have no idea what it means by "in front" and how do you dc in a ch you just made? Obviously, I'm a novice, so could someone help me?

7 answers to this question

Let me see if I can help.....I tried out a little swatch to see how it is supposed to go.

First, did you place your markers in the 3rd and 4th chain from the hook?

okay, good!

Now you did your 1st. 2 dc's right?

Then you chained 1

Now you bring your hook down in front of the dc's you just made and stick your hook into the stitch with the first marker and do a dc in that chain...Keeping your hook in front of your work.

then you can remove that marker.

It looks like a cross over stitch or like an X . Is that what the design on your pattern looks like?

Do you have a picture of the stitches?

I found it on the back cover of a little Liesure Arts pattern booklet at Walmart. Since I'm at work and the catalog is at home, I can't give you the exact name of it. I'll try and remember to sign in tonight and post it.

It's really beautiful!

I just bought 3 of those little leisure arts books at Walmart the other day so let me know what one, I bet I have the pattern already. I just love those little books because they take along so nice in my tote bag when sitting and waiting for things. Mary

Archived