Work across ends of rows in Blanket Squares

amymyers1973

Question

Hi! I plan to begin a Red Heart afghan pattern with squares. The pattern is from the "Crochet Made Easy" instructional CD-ROM. The blocks start out as granny squares. Then the left and top sides are made in one color. Then the bottom and right sides are made in a different color. The instructions say to work two sides in one color, and then work the other two sides in the other color and "work across the ends of the rows" to join the sides. How does one do this? Would that be similar to how one stitches trim on the edges of a dish cloth?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Hi Sally, thank you very much. I'm just learning to read patterns and plan to wait a while to make that afghan. Do you have any pointers for working in to stitches on the edge? I have a bit of trouble working the posts. Thanks.

Amy

Try using a size or two smaller hook to get inbetween the stitches, pull up your yarn, then complete the stitch with the correct size hook. Those edges can be a bear to get into sometimes. :D

I have that problem in the beginning. Now this is what I do, when I'm at the edge and beginning a new color(for example) I grab the new color into the chain and then turn. Then I also use a smaller hook to just weave in the other color ends into the previous color rows. Then if I get a flaw in the yarn, which has been alot lately in the skeins, I make a slip knot and go back later and make a tighter knot and with the smaller hook weave it into the sts. from previous rows.

jaye

Archived