double foundation chain?

wahdidah

Question

I need help! :think

Has anyone ever heard of a Double Foundation Chain? I've googled it and only get back instructions for a double crochet foundation.

I have instructions that came with the pattern, but I'm still clueless...

Chain 2, work one single crochet in the first chain made. Insert the hook under the left-handed thread of the last single crochet made, work another single crochet. Repeat step 2 as required.

Does anyone know what this means? I will be forever in your debt if you can help me decipher this!:hug

Thanks so much!

5 answers to this question

I'm not sure if I am remembering this right, but when I first started to crochet I had a pattern that had similar instructions but it was just at the end of a row.

Chain 2, work one single crochet in the first chain made. Insert the hook under the left-handed thread of the last single crochet made, work another single crochet. Repeat step 2 as required.
Is this exactly what it says for the first row??

What I had to do was after the final sc was made, *YO through the same ch as last sc made and pull up a loop, then Yo and pull through both loops on hook and repeat from *. The first YO counts as the foundation chain.

Thanks Diane, I'll try it. Maybe I'm getting tripped up because the pattern I have says 'the double foundation stitch'. While I haven't been able to find anything online, I did find a really old book that my Mom had and they had a 'recipe' for a stitch that looks just like it. Only they call it a chainless single crochet foundation. That confuses me b/c you do have to make chains, just not all in a row like a traditional foundation. This section of the pattern I'm working on needs to suddenly expand, and I guess gradual increases won't cut it. Thanks again for your input! I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I followed the links and found exactly what I'm looking for! The double foundation chain and double base chain stitch are one and the same! I was even able to find a video demonstration of the stitch, and trust me, I can't thank all of you enough! There was no way I was going to crochet that stitch the way shown. I would have totally ruined my project! Thanx again!

Terry

Archived