using Bernat Coordinates yarn (baby)

Gluey

Question

I have read on your web site (I am new to site) others who have had problems with this yarn. I am doing a reversible baby blanket/afghan, pink on one side and white on the other. I have made a number of them from the pattern but have never used the 'Coordinates) but used Bernat Softee Baby with no problems. I know there is problems with it sometimes being thick and thin in spots and am wondering if this has led to my problem which is the afghan not keeping its shape. I started on my 2nd ball of each color and began seeing it looking smaller than the beginning. When using this yarn one can take the afghan and kind of push it into shape but it reverts back to where it was. If anyone wants to see a finished product the afghan can be seen on Mary Maxim web site (the Canadian one for sure, not sure about the American one) with other baby afghan/blankets, #16984. I purchased the kit some years ago and have used the pattern to do the afghans for the gift shop at our local hospital. I am wondering if anyone else has problems with the article they were making keeping its shape.

Thanks for any input on the problem

Gluey

4 answers to this question

I made a baby hat and sweater with it, and, frankly, I ended up not giving it to the recipient, and I threw the rest of the yarn away. It does seem thick-and-thin, plus it tends to split. The end result was bulky in places and not in others. I bought three different skeins in three different colors, so I don't think I got into some "bad" skeins, but, truthfully, I won't be buying it again.

Just one person's experience...

Carol

I just finished a large granny sq. baby blanket using the blue and it it to the mom-to-be on Friday and she loved the softness of it> I am now working on one in lavender and still have not have had any problem with it at all. It seems to hold its shape really well.

I've used this yarn for preemie and baby hats and have noticed the thick/thin problem. My projects were little so that I was able to work around the issue but I'm not sure about what to do with a larger item.

BTW:

I have used Softee Baby extensively but with that yarn I've noticed a difference in color at the middle of one of my skeins. The color was a little bit off. Since I was making hats it didn't matter.

Archived