Beginner Afghan

happymollie

Question

A friend at work has asked me to help her learn to crochet. She took a class at Michael's and can single and double crochet. She would like to make a blanket. Not sure if she means a baby blanket or afghan. Can anyone suggest something simple yet attractive. I was thinking just repeating an easy stitch. Thanks for your suggestions.

Colleen :hook

3 answers to this question

I learned to crochet doing the Granny Square which is chains, dc, & sc to attach the motifs. What about just doing an afghan in double crochet across, row after row. Then single crochet around the edges to give it a finished look. Would be very simple, easy and she already knows how to do both stitches. Would give her a lot of practice on both stitches doing it this way. :knit

The first afghan my mom made was like that - she did about 10-20 rows of double, switched colors and did a few rows in single, alternating until she reached a length she liked. She made it in white and pink for my daughter and it's one of her favorites. (My mom makes my girls "nap blankies" about once a year and they HAVE to sleep with them all.)

Archived