single crochet lingo

stitchniche

Question

hello! i'm still a beginner at this crocheting business, so i have some questions about abbreviations and how-tos.

i'm working on a pair of slippers, and it tells me the following: "3 sc in last ch" and "2 sc in next ch already holding 1 sc". i know that "sc" stands for "single crochet", but what do those numbers in front of them mean? i'm confused. and what are they supposed to look like? how do you do it?

thank you,

stichniche

4 answers to this question

It's telling you how many single crochet stitches to make. Your first example would mean "make 3 single crochets in the last chain"; your second example means "make 2 single crochets in the next chain that's already holding 1 single crochet".

Hope that helps!

does that mean i sc three times from the same chain/stitch? when i do that, i get this weird-looking thing that i'm thinking is not part of the pattern... i'm not sure. or does it mean to sc, then chain up? or does it mean to dc or tc? this is confusing...

It means you make three individual single crochet stitches in the same chain. Insert your hook in the chain, pull the yarn through, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook, one single crochet completed; insert the hook into that same chain again, pull the yarn through, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook, two single crochets completed; insert the hook into that same chain again, pull the yarn through, yarn over and pull through both loops on hook, three single crochets completed.

I'm going to guess that since it calls for making the 3 sc in the last chain that you're going to, in the next step, be stitching up the other side of the chain, so you're putting those 3 sc in the last chain to sort of 'round the bend'.

I hope I'm explaining this clearly - it seems like I'm spelling it out clearly but it is getting late so maybe I'm not explaining it as well as I think I am. :D

hello! i'm still a beginner at this crocheting business, so i have some questions about abbreviations and how-tos.

i'm working on a pair of slippers, and it tells me the following: "3 sc in last ch" and "2 sc in next ch already holding 1 sc". i know that "sc" stands for "single crochet", but what do those numbers in front of them mean? i'm confused. and what are they supposed to look like? how do you do it?

thank you,

stichniche

Ok, I think I know what you are doing. You are going 'round the bend' and working down the other side of a chain row. since it is a slipper, I assume you are making a sole first?

now, if this is not the case... could you post a link to your pattern so we can see where your pattern is going.

Archived