How much Cascade 220...

samijofitz

Question

would you need to make an average size felted purse? Big enough for wallet, keys, cell, smokes... :shrug

Pattern links would be great! :clap

The only wool I've ever worked with is the Lion Brand, would love to try the Cascade 220 - is it similar in size, or smaller gauge? :huh

TIA

Sami Jo :hook

3 answers to this question

The 220 is a worsted weight gauge I believe so any pattern written for worsted should be fine. I'm using the 220 for an extra large version of Dawns Well Traveled Bag, which will be felted at the end.

The Cascade 220 is a worsted weight, like the Lion brand or Patons. You should be able to use the same amount of yardage for any of these as called for in a pattern. Here's a link to the Crochet Pattern Central "Felted Items" page: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/felted_items.php

If a pattern only gives the number of skeins required of a specific brand, you can look up the yarn and see how many yards are in a skein and then use that number to figure our how many skeins to buy of your substitute yarn. I usually use 4-6 skeins of Patons Classic Merino 100% yarn, which at 223 yards per skein would be between 892 and 1338 yards total.

Two skeins should be enough to make a medium size purse as long as you are only working with a single strand (not two strands crocheted together). I knitted this bag (the one in front) using Cascade 220. It turned out large (in my opinion) and it took 2 1/2 skeins. It wouldn't hurt to buy 3 skeins because crochet does take more yarn than knitting and what is large to one person may be small to another person. :hook

Archived