converting knit to crochet

juli

Question

6 answers to this question

I know there is a hard back book that gives how to convert for every stitch, but cannot remember what it's called....I think it's from House of White Birches.

I know there is a hard back book that gives how to convert for every stitch, but cannot remember what it's called....I think it's from House of White Birches.

It's called From Needles to Hook and is a great book. You can get it on Amazon.com and many places online. :knit

I have the book From Needles to Hook right in front of me, borrowed it from the library. For stockinette stitch it says to do sc or hdc in rounds, do not turn at the end of the row. For garter stitch work sc or hdc in the back loops of the precious row, turning after each row.

The book also says to downsize the yarn weight to create a similar look to knit for example if your pattern calls for a bulky go with worsted, worsted go to sport, etc. Also do your guage square and then do the math for the final piece. Add or subtract rows in multiples of two so that the correct side is facing for your pattern.

Here are some conversion stitches:

1 K st or P st (knit or purl stitch) = 1 sc st

K or P 2 tog (knit or purl 2 together) = sc 2 st tog

K in front lp then in back lp of same st = 2 sc in same st

6 st st rows = 4 sc rows

From what I read, alot of it is up to each individuals interpretation and no matter what you do, it will have a different look and feel as a knitted piece, but it is a guideline to help you figure out the basics.

I'll have the book for a few more days if you have any other specific questions, I can look and see if the book addresses it.

Juli,

I have the book if you need any further assistance. I borrowed it from my library to check it out and bought a copy. It's great. I try to come here a little each day so let me know or email me at my home address if you need any more help as you go along.

:U

deb

Archived