help making a pattern larger, please !

chelseaaustin

Question

hi everyone,

my bag is going to be an overnight bag for a child and a large purse for a woman. it should be very cool, but might take me some time because the pattern is for a 4 inch by 3 inch octopus and i am going to make one 10 inch tall x 12-13 inch wide or a little larger one. wish me luck, any help would be great. i just bought the pattern from the etsy website and the seller said i cant give it away. i dont know how to anyone can help me make it larger if i cant show you, but maybe if someone can make the instructions for a larger one like i wanted in the first place. any takers pretty please ? chelsea :)

8 answers to this question

Well, if you want to make it 3x larger you need to figure out how many stitches make up one inch, how many inches the pattern is, then how many inches you need to increase. Then make that number of stitches. Say you make 5 stitches per inch, the pattern is for 4 inches so you are making 20 stitches as written. You want it 2.5 times the size written in height. So your have to multiply 20 by 2.5 to get the 50 stitches to the height. Now the width you seem to want to be about 4 or 5 times larger than written, so you'll have to increase by that amount to get stitches on the part that becomes the width.

Hope this helps.

Could you link to the etsy so we can see what it looks like?

I would think that you just want a large, round-ish bag with some tentacles going out from the base. If you could find a solid stitch, drawstring bag, you might be well on your way.

Once you get the bag made, it shouldn't be to hard to make/get some eyes for it.

If I ever get my tail in gear and design one of these, you'll be the first to know. :wlol

hello,

wow darski, i hope you start designing soon. i am trying to enlarge the pattern so i can make the whole thing by hand by myself with out any bought parts except for maybe the eyes

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6496800

oh please, tell me you can write a larger pattern for this adorable octopus. i reall really really want one. i have even become a little obsessed with enlarging it so i can start a.s.a.p. tell mw what you think ? chelsea :fluffy :bheart

Jammie Bag

Work with a small hook for the yarn and keep it tight so that you have a secure fabric.

Just make a Standard Circle pattern as large as you want your base to be (start at the top of the head though)

Standard Circle pattern

ch 4, join

R1: 6 sc in ring

R2: 2sc in each sc

R3: sc in 1, 2sc in next

R4: sc in 2, 2sc in next

R5: sc in 3, 2sc in next

and so on and so on and so on

once you have it as large/round as you want your bag to be, just sc in each sc for several rounds until it is about half as tall as you want it to be. You could make the opening right at the first round of no increases if you want the opening at the top.

Zipper /opening round. lets imagine that you have 90 stitches at this point.

sc in 15 sc, skip 20 sc, chain 20, sc in next sc and across the rest of the row.

Next row... sc in every sc and chain around.

(you will want to see how many stitches you want that opening to be. If it is for jammies and a little one has to do the putting away... well you know how that goes. :wlol

When it is as tall as you want, begin doing decreases in the reverse order that you did the increases. if you got up to (say) sc in 10, 2sc in next then you will do (sc in 10, sc dec) around then (sc in 9, sc dec) and so on.

this will not be as tidy as your Increasing rounds (at least mine never is) so that is why I would put it on the bottom. When you get down to 6 stitches, break off leaving a goodly tail. Use the secure tail to gather the last 6 stitches into a tight circle. secure and tidy ends.

The tentacles could be a little more interesting if you are making them larger. you can increase slowly as you workup so they get wider at the top.

:woo:jumpyay hello,

darski you are too cool for words to describe :) . i am truly on :c9 . thank you very much for taking the time to do that for me, i hope some time in the future i will be able to do the same for you. as soon as my yarn gets here ( i just got some gorgeous yarn on ebay ) i am going to get started. have you ever crochet with more than one strand at once ? you know, taking 2 different balls of yarn, put the string together, then start crocheting as if it were one strand. chelsea :bheart :fluffy

This is something I am very guilty of doing, the multi stranding. Lots and lots. I do it to take baby patterns and make them fit my dd all the time. I do that with fbb's to make them totes and all sorts of other things. Just up your hook size when you add more strands and you will be good to go. You could even do that with Darski's hints in some cotton and you might not have to line it if you keep it tight. Good luck!

I have just been on a major binge of doing two stranded ghans. I did a Van Gogh Round Ripple and I have been working on the Lumberjack flannelghans.

I am also working on a hat and scarf in two strands of a grey with metallic sliver. This yarn is too skimpy - it just lacks body - so I am finding that it needs the two strands together. :yarn it's quite nice this way. :yes

wonderful, i was thinking of trying it too. i just love hearing someone is haveing a good time with it, it makes me wan tto try it even more. ok, i am goging to start with your instructions as soon as my yarn gets here. i will keep you posted with the progress. chelsea:bheart :fluffy

Archived