Shell over Shell?

karebear

Question

Would this imply that I would work 2 (or what ever number) of shells in one space? Here is the pattern:

Rnd 5 Sl st to centre of 1st shell. Ch3, complete shell over shell. (Shell over next shell) twice. ch1. * (Shell over next shell) 3 times, ch1.Rpt from * to end. Join

The rest of the pattern reads very similar to this one. And since I can see a pattern in the design of the picture, I think that I am doing this wrong. I want to try and correct it (if I am wrong) before I have to work about 65 more rounds in the same way.

Thank you so much!!

4 answers to this question

I think "shell over shell" means to make one shell in the shell of the previous row. Otherwise, it should say "2 shell over shell", shouldn't it?

"(shell over next shell) twice" means to make one shell in each of two shells.

In the picture are the shells all lined up in columns? That is the effect you would see from one shell in each shell. If you make 2 or 3 shells in each shell you are going to be making a huge increase on every row.

This is what I am trying to make: http://www.jacqscrochet.com/christeningdress.htm

I have the top finished and I am now working on the dress part. In the skirted area, you can see how there is those spaces. The way that it is looking now (according to how I am doing it) it looks more mesh-like. And I am stitching them the shells in the middle on each space from the previous row of shells. I am just not sure if I am doing it right. :think

It looks like you are at the part where you start creating the stripes. So, shell-over-shell, shell-over-shell, shell-over-shell, then ch1 - repeat around. The ch1 in between the sets of three shell-over-shells is what creates the stripe effect.

Archived