Japanese transalation anyone?

magdafamily

Question

Does anyone know how to translate Japanese patterns? The patterns are so exquisite and I would like to try my hand at them. I have found a pattern that looks easy but when it comes to trying to decipher it I become very intimidated.:think

I am hoping there is someone here that will be able to help me translate or direct me to a web site that would help with the translation.

www.puppyarn.co.jp/03patterns/3.html#09

Once you are at the site click on "Print" and you will then be directed to the pattern(s)(one being for baby and the other for an adult).

Thanks so much for any help that is provided!

Amy

7 answers to this question

Wow, that's a cute hat. You don't really mean you need a translation of the Japanese text, do you? Do you already understand symbol crochet/diagrams? If not, try an internet search for "symbol crochet", which should lead you to several tutorial sites, which will explain the stitch symbols and have some simple projects to practice on. I do think that this hat might be a little bit tricky for a first symbol crochet project, but I'm sure with a little practice, you'd find it no trouble. In fact...I love the pattern, and I'm glad you shared it!

If there is something specific about the diagram you'd like cleared up, I might be able to help you with that, but Japanese itself...sorry, no.

Thanks so much for your guidance. I was interested in finding out the symbol translation and I should of specified in the post whether I needed the symbols translated or the text. I'm happy to hear that you loved the pattern as well. Let me know if you happen to make one. I would love to see how yours turned out!!!! I'll surely ask you for more help if needed which I am sure will probably happen. Again, thanks so much!!

Amy

Symbol crochet is international, the T bar with one slash symbol is a double crochet. One of the patterns defines a cluster as a group of 5 dc. Plus signs mean single crochets. The oval loops are chain stitches. A T bar with two slashes symbol is a treble (triple) crochet.

Try this site for explaining what the symbols mean. I have many Japanese crochet books (Ondori is one publisher, Nihon Vogue is another), and it is easy to read the patterns once you understand the symbols. You don't need the words once you learn the symbols.

There is also an ASN book by Jean Leinhauser about Learn to Symbol Crochet in One Day you might want to look through and see if it answers your questions.

http://grannys-garret.com/symbol_crochet/symbol_crochet.html

Just for reference, it would be considered a violation of our forum guidelines related to copyright issues to post a complete translation of this pattern here or a link to anywhere such a translation might be posted (unless it's been posted with the permission of the original copyright holder).

The copyright holder reserves all rights to determine when/how/if a translated version of their pattern can be posted anywhere else.

It is fine to give people directions on how they can use any of the free online translating services so they can get a little translation help for themselves. :)

I've already had to delete one such instance in this thread, as well as others in another thread about patterns from this site.

Archived