Felting calculations

Cranky Crocheter

Question

Ok all you felting experts... I have a bag pattern that I am going to felt.. It calls for 30sc across and 22 rows.. Its a long clutch.. Now, I want to keep it a long clutch..

How many chs and rows do you think I should add?

I am using Patons Classic Wool, the last time I felted it I had to throw it in the maching 2x... I don't mind a repetitive felting cycle but I just don't want to come up short..

:manyheart

5 answers to this question

I think that 30 sc would probably felt up to somewhere around the width of 18 - 22 stitches. Measure that and see if that's big enough. If not, try starting with a 40sc chain.

I think that 30 sc would probably felt up to somewhere around the width of 18 - 22 stitches. Measure that and see if that's big enough. If not, try starting with a 40sc chain.

Awesome... thank you!!!:)

i was wondering how much smaller things get after felting...i made the bag from the free annies pattern and am ready to felt it, but would like to make a wallet to go with it but want to make sure it will be the right size.

It's really hard to be able to say exactly what size something is going to felt down to as there are so many variables - your yarn, the water temp, your water, your washer, etc. Best thing to do is to make a swatch in the pattern stitches, measure it, felt it, and measure it again.

It's really hard to be able to say exactly what size something is going to felt down to as there are so many variables - your yarn, the water temp, your water, your washer, etc. Best thing to do is to make a swatch in the pattern stitches, measure it, felt it, and measure it again.

I usually figure something will shrink approximately 30% width wise, and maybe 10-15% on height. But, as previous posters have said, it varies a lot and is no where near an exact science! Even felting a small swatch is not always accurate, because I have found that small pieces felt more quickly, and more size-wise, than a larger project. I sometimes will make a small project as a test... often I'll make a glass case which is pretty easy and goes fast.

i was wondering how much smaller things get after felting...i made the bag from the free annies pattern and am ready to felt it, but would like to make a wallet to go with it but want to make sure it will be the right size.

Why not felt the bag first. Measure before and after felting. That will give you guidelines in how large to make the wallet.

Joan

Archived