Crocheting in the round

MidnightandOreo

Question

I think this is a simple thing, but one I've never been able to get right. When I start the second round, I do a turning chain... then where do I put the hook to start the next stitch? Books say things like, "The stitch at the base of the chain," does that mean in the stitch that the chain comes out of?

3 answers to this question

yes :) unless it says "ch 1 turn" then you sc into the stitch you slip stitched into to join the round. if you are working continuous rounds you would sc into the top of the very first stitch you made (the one you would typically slip stitch in to join the round)

if you do need to turn then slip stitch into the very first stitch, then sc into the last sc you worked of that round

Crocheting in the round really depends on the pattern.

Continuous Rounds work like this: Mark first stitch with marker and keep crocheting in each stitch until you get back to your marker (count while you do this). Then crochet in the same st as your marker and count that as the first one then move that marker to the st you just made and repeat this until you have the right/desired size etc.

Another method is mark your first st and crochet around as directed. When you get to your marker you would sl st in that st and depending on the type of st (most of the time it is sc) you would ch one and then sc in the next st unless the pattern tells you to crochet in the same st as your joining st.

By what you posted I think your pattern is telling you to do your first stitch in the same stitch as your joining stitch.

You could check out this link too. I found it to be helpful.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Good Luck!

Archived