Help Translate Please!

CrochetBallet

Question

Hi everyone...

I'm making this baby dress: http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cassies-summer-outfit.html

and don't understand Row 3 which says: 2 sc in first st *working behind ch sp 3sc in each sc across to last sc, 2 sc in last st, ch 1 turn

At first I thought it meant to do 2sc in the first stitch, and then 3sc in the back loop of each stitch across, then 2sc again in the last stitch. But then it didn't look right, it was making a straight edge across (when the pic looks like it should be a scalloped edge)...so I frogged it and thought that maybe it meant to do the 3sc ONLY behind the skipped stitch from the row before (Row 2 says: sk first st,*(sc, ch2, hdc) in next st, sk next st, Rep from * across ending with sc in last st. ch 1 turn).

Anyone know what Row 3 means??? And also, that asterik leads to nothing else if you look at the pattern.

modify_inline.gif

8 answers to this question

As you are working the Sedge stitch (sc, ch 2 hdc) you will be making a pattern that produces a 'bump' of sorts.

As you are working the next row, they want you to keep that stitch to the front while you are working your 3sc into the sc's along the row. just try to make sure that you don't let the bumps go to the back as you work that row.

Hmm, that does sound a bit confusing. Especially when there are no stitch counts at the end of rows to help you.

Now, if you have to work behind the ch2's, that (to me) implies that you are working into skipped stitches of row 1, which it does not state. Otherwise, I would say she just wants the ch2's to the front of the work, so just kind of hold them forward when working into the scs of row 2.

The asterisk in row 3 doesn't seem to be necessary. The designer probably meant to put 'repeat from', then realized she didn't need to ( with the 3sc in each sc across) and then forgot to delete the asterisk.

If it still doesn't look right, have you tried emailing the designer?

Sally

Hmm, that does sound a bit confusing. Especially when there are no stitch counts at the end of rows to help you.

Now, if you have to work behind the ch2's, that (to me) implies that you are working into skipped stitches of row 1, which it does not state. Otherwise, I would say she just wants the ch2's to the front of the work, so just kind of hold them forward when working into the scs of row 2.

The asterisk in row 3 doesn't seem to be necessary. The designer probably meant to put 'repeat from', then realized she didn't need to ( with the 3sc in each sc across) and then forgot to delete the asterisk.

If it still doesn't look right, have you tried emailing the designer?

Sally

Thanks for this. I agree with the first thing you said, that it would seem that I would work into the skipped sc stitches in Row 2. But what I don't understand is if I skip over the 2 ch stitches AND the hdc stitch, and just work Row 3 (the 3 sc in each sc) into ONLY THE SC of Row 2. I'm sorry, I know I'm being confusing, I just can interpret it a few ways and nothing looks right. And I just took your advice and emailed the designer.

As you are working the Sedge stitch (sc, ch 2 hdc) you will be making a pattern that produces a 'bump' of sorts.

As you are working the next row, they want you to keep that stitch to the front while you are working your 3sc into the sc's along the row. just try to make sure that you don't let the bumps go to the back as you work that row.

Thanks for this! I understand what you are saying but it's not clear to me if I work into the sc of Row 2 from (sc, ch 2, hdc) or of the sc stitches I skipped from Row 1.

Thanks for this! I understand what you are saying but it's not clear to me if I work into the sc of Row 2 from (sc, ch 2, hdc) or of the sc stitches I skipped from Row 1.

You work into the sc portion of the Sedge Stitch. (sc, ch 2, hdc)

You work into the sc (bold above) while keeping the ch 2, hdc forward so you don't lose the bumps

You're welcome. This pattern came up before but I couldn't find the question. it was the same though if I remember it right.

The designer emailed me back and confirmed that yes, it is 3 sc into only the sc of the (sc, ch 2, hdc) cluster. Same thing you said, so THANKS again!!!

Archived