Suggestions

kat

Question

I found a pattern for a tie, and I don't like the way it was coming out. So I tried a few different stitches, and it was either too thin or too stiff. I decided to try to make one that was 2 layers thick.Here's what i did:

ch.11

dc in 4th ch from hook and each ch across , 2dc in last ch stitch

dc in each ch on opposite side of chain, ss in top of the ch. 3 at beg.

ch.3 turn

dc in each st around, ss in top of ch.3

ch.3

dc in each st around, ss in top of ch.3.... repeat... you get the idea...:P

anyway, one side is fine. the other side has a hole type area where the ch. 3's are. Does it matter? If so what can I do to fix it?

Also, when I get to the middle of the length,or a little past, I would like to make it smaller (less wide) like other ties. (the back part is smaller than the front). Any suggestions on how to do that?

Here are some pics on what I have started. Be honest please about what you think. I don't want to embarrass the kid. So if you don't think this is going to work, please tell me and don't worry, my feeling won't be hurt.

Front View

th_100_0688.jpg

Side

th_100_0691.jpg

6 answers to this question

Kat,

If you posted pictures, I can't see them. I am having the hardest time lately seeing pictures on this computer and can't figure it out.

Anyway.....

I crocheted my boy's ties in the round. I used an extended single chain and it seemed to make the tie with a nice balance of thickness and not holey or too dense.

thanks, as of right now though, i have given up on the tie. It was turning out to be a disaster! I even found another pattern, and it just wasn't turning out either. so for now..... no ties.

Tell you what?

Give me a few days to get through some other projects and things I am doing with the kids, and I will sit down and see if I can't write out a tie pattern using my boys for you.

you are so sweet! :hug:hug i appreciate that, and take your time. I do want to make one, but right now i am just aggravated with it. saw your blog today.... my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. i know it will be hard without him around much, but i know you are very proud of him and i am very proud of all our service men and women. if not for them we would not enjoy the life we have today. the pics were really nice. you have a great looking family!

anyway, one side is fine. the other side has a hole type area where the ch. 3's are. Does it matter? If so what can I do to fix it?

Also, when I get to the middle of the length,or a little past, I would like to make it smaller (less wide) like other ties. (the back part is smaller than the front). Any suggestions on how to do that?

Kat, you might not need this info if you're going to try another pattern, but it could come in handy in the future. Here's the link to an article on closing up the holes from the end double crochet. It works great, and I guess it would work just as well with an end chain. Bella Online

It makes a wavy edge though, which might not be what you want in a tie.

To make something slightly narrower, I've seen the suggestion that you switch to a smaller hook. I haven't tried this myself, but it makes sense.

Archived