wide brim hat

squish_52

Question

Ever wonder how one would make a brim onto a hat? well that's what I'm wondering right now, would I just increase in equal increments to make the brim flat? I'm thinking about putting a brim onto a summer hat for my baby cousin...any suggestions?

3 answers to this question

Ever wonder how one would make a brim onto a hat? well that's what I'm wondering right now, would I just increase in equal increments to make the brim flat? I'm thinking about putting a brim onto a summer hat for my baby cousin...any suggestions?

The best technique I have seen - and hats are my specialty - is to use a FPsc around the last portion of the crown. work FPsc in one, 2FPsc in next around the hat. This will give you a goodly start and after that you generally don't even have to increase. Work your first fully brim row in dc and it works beautifully. If you need a second row, use hdc to keep it firm.

Check out the hat in this set to see what I mean. That hat could probably fit a little one with maybe one more row on the crown because Dora has that large head

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52678

I learned this technique from a hat pattern by Lily Chin. I love her for this hat alone :manyheart

Well the baby is about 12 months old and she's a tiny tike but I think I can adapt that pattern...I'm a hat gal too but I wasn't sure how to navigate a brim...that's a new one for me

thanks darski :)

You are welcome. I love these brimmed hats... at least I do now that they stand out and don't just wimp out on me. i have gone as far as three rows of dc for the brim and just added an increase if I needed it.

Archived