how do you embroider amigurumi

YARNWIZ

Question

i am totally clueless....i have no idea how to put eyes, a nose, or even a mouth on anything amigurumi. i would rather use yarn to make the face not those bead things... someone please help me!!!???

6 answers to this question

There are 2 ways to do it, 1) pre stuffing, and 2) post stuffing, either way IMHO is to keep it as simple as possible... I also prefer doing the embroidery after stuffing, so I can get a better idea of how the face is going to look, and also prevent my stitches from distorting while it's being stuffed.

If I was going to do eyes, for example, I'd start with circles of felt and attach them post stuffing with a finer yarn and a "button hole" stitch... nose and mouth are just a couple of "running stitches" to simply trace out a bit of the shape. _ _ _ _ _ and then back the other way to fill in...

Hi YARNWIZ!

I'm having the same trouble. I'm working on the Luchador ami and cannot decide how I want his face to look. The doll itself is done, but I've done and redone the face and embellishments a few times and have ripped it out each time. Poor guy may end up without a face! Good luck!

Ive seen a few with simple X for eyes....or just a - for a sleeping face, I use a Y shape for bunnies, sometimes I put a little o for a mouth or just a little smille....Im not very good when it comes to faces, mine always have to be done a couple of times before I like them, I sometimes make a little sketch first...:)

I do embroidery on Amigurumi face when I'm done with stuffing.

I use 2 black sewing pins first to test the look of where to put the eyes permanently (you know, the pins that have beads of different colors on their heads). As soon as I get the look of the eyes that I want, I mark it with pencil. Then I stitch the black rounded beads or black flat sequins on the pencil mark. With the lips, I also mark them with pencil or a water based/non-permanent marker (the one we use for cross stitch). Then I start my embroidery.

Archived