backing for rugs?

I would like to crochet some rugs for my bathroom and kitchen and was wondering what kind of backing should I put on the back of them.. or..should I even put anything on the back. I was thinking of using some denim fabric but not too sure how that would work out. What do u use when you make rugs? Thanks in advnce for any and all help.

I've never made a rug myself, but I have a thought that might help you. I bought something with a "grip" at the dollar store. I actually bought it for the purpose of putting it under my Dogs dishes serving two purposes. He drools after he drinks and there is nothing worse that stepping in bulldog water drool. it absorbes the drool AND provents him from pushing the bowl across the floor. Its a VERY thin light foam type material. Thats the best I can do to describe it. You could easily stitch it to the bottom of a rug. I also have seen the same fiber in a "placemat" shape. The dollar store is the only place I've seen it. Just a thought.

OH YES...its washable...doggie slobber...must be washed. I usually do a quick wash in the kitchen sink and hang it over the patio rail for like 10 minutes to dry. I have also thown it in the washing machine. I haven't put it in the dryer though, only because it seems to airdry VERY quickly.

They have the same stuff in the hardware store that is made for putting under rugs, it is more sturdy and is not supposed to stain the floor.

I had some rubber-backed (purchased) rugs that stained my linoleum after a while, so I would be hesitant to put the dollar store shelf liner stuff on the floor. Just a thought.

I hadn't thought about staining. mats are blue, usually saturated it Angus drool, I have had them for about 2 years with no staining. They are cheap enough, perhaps a quick rinse in the sink before using them would indicate the tell tale signs of potential staining. Funny you should mention the hardware store...I actually recommended the same product to a guy who was looking for something to put in his tool box to keep his tools from sliding around. (I wish I could remember how we got into that conversation in the PET STORE).

Mine were bathroom rugs and got washed a lot...might have been some chemical reaction, or they may have degraded, they were there for a few years before the stain developed. Anyway, just a heads up to the possiblity (maybe the drool retards staining :) ).

Archived