A more in depth question about bag lining

Ophelia

Question

Okay, so I have just made a beautiful bag (I am so humble, I know) and I need to sew a lining into it. Honestly though, I don't even know where to start with this whole thing. Could someone help me out in a "Bag lining for dummies"-esk kind of way?

Thank you so much! I will post pictures when it is all complete.

6 answers to this question

for me I take and lay out the bag and use double material, cut the material about an inch larger than the bag. Then if it has sides I do the same fo rthe sides. Sew one of each together to give me a "bag" like the one I have crocheted. Then the other. Put those together and sew them so that I can flip it inside out and have 2 sides with teh right side of material showing. And then I sew on the handle. If I made the handle out of material also I do the double cutting and sewing also. The put it in my bag and either hand sew or with the machine sew it together.

Very generic but this is how I do mine.

Make sure when you are measuring your lining you allow for seam allowance plus a little ease in the fit. Personally I'd machine sew the side & bottom seams but hand sew the lining to the crochet work...If something went wrong it might not rip out nicely, depending on your yarn.

Also, make sure your lining is colorfast. Another thread mentioned a white cotton purse with a red lining, the white became pink after washing :eek

Archived