Fat Bottom Bag in Bulky then Felted?

yarn_monkey

Question

I think this would be the right place to post this... :D I was thinking about making an FBB in bulky weight yarn (Moda Dea Cache, to be specific). I know I have enough yardage-wise, but my question is this: The bag will work up a lot bigger, so if I felt it, will it be about the right size? Give or take a few, because I made one with recycled sari silk and it's a little bigger than the book says, but it works fine with the 6" bamboo handles.

Here's some details for the pattern and the yarn so maybe it'll make it easier to help me figure this out. I figure there's some math or something that I just don't know that would tell me.

Pattern

236yds WW yarn

gauge: 13sts (herringbone halfdouble) & 11 rows = 4 inches square

Yarn (4 balls)

72yds each (288 total)

gauge: 9sts (sc) & 13 rows = 4 inches square

If there's any other details that would help you help me figure this out, let me know and I'll get right on it!

Thanks!!! :)

5 answers to this question

I've thought about trying to felt a FBB many times, but I've always wondered about the different "roadblocks" to doing it.

First, are you planning on lining it? If so, you have to line it before you gather up the sides to make the handles and your lining would not fit after you felted/shrunk the bag. I know some people like to line felted bags and some don't, so just something to think about.

Second, I guess the easiest thing to do, as far as the handles go, is just make the whole FBB with the side gathering & handle flaps, but not attach the handle flaps to the inside of the bag, felt it, and then you'd have to sew the handle flaps down onto the bag.

As far as the size goes, as long as the proportions of the pre-felted bag are equal, I think you'll get something pretty close to a standard FBB size. The beauty of the round handles is that the exact size doesn't matter... they will work with a wide variety of bag sizes!

Check out the FBB CAL and look at the HUGE FBB bags that people have made in the last couple of weeks.

Can't wait to see it, be sure to post pics!

First thing to do, if you haven't already is a test swatch to see if it will felt. Moda Dea Cache 75% wool, 22% Acrylic, 3% Polyester.

If it does, then go ahead and try it.

Having made at least ten of these, here's my opinion.

Most felted bags don't need lined. If you want to line it, do it after, it'll be fine.

For the handles you can sew them in after, use snaps or buttons to attach the handles, or maybe even felt over the handle. For the last I recommend hand felting rather than in your machine. I'm not an expert felter/fuller though and have only done it once or twice so I could be wrong.

Check out the felting/fulling board as it's full of great tips.

Good luck, have fun, and don't worry too much.

:)

Doesn't the FBB use a textured herringbone stitch? It seems it would be a waste of time to do a textured stitch and then felt it....I think either Coats & Clark or Lion has a bag that is very similar to the FBB that might work up easier for something you're going to felt. I usually use an L hook and one strand of yarn when making projects I'm going to felt, but with bulky yarn you might need to go up to a size N hook. When you do your test swatches, you could make one with an L and one an N hook, throw them in with your next load of laundry and see how they turn out. :hook I always felt my projects in the machine, inside a zippered pillow case.

First thing to do, if you haven't already is a test swatch to see if it will felt. Moda Dea Cache 75% wool, 22% Acrylic, 3% Polyester.

If it does, then go ahead and try it.

Having made at least ten of these, here's my opinion.

Most felted bags don't need lined. If you want to line it, do it after, it'll be fine.

For the handles you can sew them in after, use snaps or buttons to attach the handles, or maybe even felt over the handle. For the last I recommend hand felting rather than in your machine. I'm not an expert felter/fuller though and have only done it once or twice so I could be wrong.

Check out the felting/fulling board as it's full of great tips.

Good luck, have fun, and don't worry too much.

:)

According to the Moda Dea website, it will felt (altho I'm sure not as well as 100% wool obviously), and they had a pattern for a bag, but it was one of those long tubular ones that I have absolutely no use for- I carry a lot of junk. :D I really liked the knit one they had, but I don't knit. I mean, I can, but the skill level listed is intermediate, and I am super-beginner at best haha.

I'll probably have to hand felt it anyway, because I don't have a washer/dryer at home and have to go to the laundromat. I think most people at the laundromat I go to would look at me like I'm crazy, plus the money involved using their washers.

And yes, I think my problem is worrying too much! :P

Archived