I'm in over my head...

IdleHands

Question

...and determined to make this shawl!

I'm working on Knottie By Nature's "My Blue Jeans Shawl" and I'm stumped on the directions for the second row. Here's the directions:

2: Ch 1,sc in 1st dc, (ch 3, sk ch-3 sp, in ch-1 sp work [dc2together, ch 2, dc2together, ch 2, dc2together], ch 3, sk ch-3 sp, sc in next ch-1 sp) to the end, working last sc in 4th ch from the last sc of previous row, turn.
If I understand this right, I chain 1, single crochet in the first double crochet. Here is where I get confused. It says chain 3, but what are the next instructions in bold? I don't know what an SK or SP is.:think English please.

When I get to the brackets, are the double crochet 2 together's done in the same spot or am I repeating this as I go down the row?

6 answers to this question

2: Ch 1,sc in 1st dc, (ch 3, sk ch-3 sp, in ch-1 sp work [dc2together, ch 2, dc2together, ch 2, dc2together], ch 3, sk ch-3 sp, sc in next ch-1 sp) to the end, working last sc in 4th ch from the last sc of previous row, turn.

chain 3, but what are the next instructions in bold? (ch 3, sk ch-3 sp, in ch-1 sp

I think there is a mistake in there you are either going to sc of dc in the ch-1 sp

I don't know what an SK or SP is. English please.

sk = skip

sp= space

[dc2together, ch 2, dc2together, ch 2, dc2together],

I think these will be in different ch sp or st. Seeing the first row of the pattern may help out a little more though so we know what you are working off of.

[dc2together, ch 2, dc2together, ch 2, dc2together], ch 3, sk ch-3 sp, sc in next ch-1 sp)

once you work through this once you will continue with this patter until the end of the row.

Here is the first row after the foundation chain:

1: Sc in 9th ch from hook, ch 1, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch, (ch 3, sk 2 ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, sk 1 ch, dc in next ch, ch 3, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch, ch 1, sk 1 ch, sc in next ch) across until you have fewer than 10 ch left, ch 3, sk 2 ch, dc in next ch, turn. If you have any chains in the foundation chain left, leave them unworked. When you complete the shawl, undo those chains and weave in the end.
I think there is a mistake in there you are either going to sc of dc in the ch-1 sp
I thought this meant I would do the sc at the same space as the dc in the first row.

I made this shawl last year but I didn't like how short it was so I frogged it back to a scarf size. I took these pictures today after I saw what you were asking

They do show the stitch pattern. I am offering these pictures in the hopes that you can see what the directions mean. I am not responsible for anything more than offering a way to see the stitches in action.

The overall pattern stitches (the two rows just repeat and repeat getting smaller as you go)

bj1.jpg

A close up of the (2dc) clusters in groups of three

bj2.jpg

:hook

Thank you Darski, seeing an up close pic does help. I'm used to doing more solid projects, so it was a bit tough for me to envision.

Do you remember roughly how long yours was?

Archived