Reselling patterns

Lady of Shalott

Question

I wasn't sure where to post this... but I have a bunch of patterns that I want to get rid of. I decided they are either projects I will never get to or ones I don't really want to (b/c I figured out I hate working with thread AFTER I bought a bunch of patterns for it). Anyway, I was wondering if it is legal to resell patterns and, if so, does Crochetville have a place that this is possible. (I know it is obviously illegal to reproduce patterns and sell them, but these are the original copyrighted booklets).

Any one know?

6 answers to this question

thanks, I just wanted to be sure.

btw, did you write the American School of Needlework "Learn to Crochet in Just One Day"? If so, that's the book that my grandmother gave me years ago when I was first learning to crochet; I didn't keep it up then, but last year I got into it again and used that same book to remember how to do it and to learn to read patterns (which I never learned before). Great Book for me :)

When you do sell these patterns will you be willing to take money orders? You know when you do put them up for sell and there are some that I may want?

It is well settled law (meaning that this has been litigated in the courts) that you may re-sell patterns, books, etc., as long as you are selling the original and do not make and keep a copy. That is why people can cut patterns out of magazines and sell the individual original pattern pages on ebay. Otherwise, libraries and thrift stores would not be able to sell used books, cds, etc.

I buy used crochet books and cross stitch charts all the time on e-bay. What some of the cross stitch ladies do is they upload pictures of the booklets into a hosting site like photobucket, webshots or picturetrail and make a sale album that way so people can browse. Mary

Archived