Stupid question re: purse closures

Mommy2Max

Question

I am working on (another) FBB and this is the first one that I'm putting a magnetic snap into for a closure. I know that it needs to go into the lining and not into the yarn, but call me dumb, how on earth do you do it?

The closures I bought have 2 prongs on the back and a flat metal plate that the prongs fit into. I assume that the prongs will need to go through the lining and then I will attach the flat metal plate to the back and bend the prongs to secure it the closure.

My dumb question is- how do I get the prongs through the fabric? Do I use my ripper and cut a small hole in the fabric? Do I need to sew and reinforce the fabric around the prongs after I rip to keep them from tearing further? Is a single-layer piece of cotton fabric lining really sturdy enough to hold up being pulled open all the time? These little magnets seem pretty strong!!

I'm feeling all goofy over this... I must be a huge moron to not be able to figure out something as simple as magnetic purse closures! :blush:think:blush:think:blush:think

Help!

-Lori

3 answers to this question

I always cut a circle or oval of heavyweight fusible interfacing to reinforce the lining. I just iron it on the back side, snip two very small slits, push the prongs through and voila! By using the fusible interfacing, not only are you reinforcing the lining, but it will keep the cut edges of the slits from fraying. :hook

Archived