Need help reading a pattern

karebear

Question

I am a newbie to crocheting. I am not the type of person who will accept defeat either. I know that the pattern that I am trying to use is for Intermediate skill level, which I am not, but that isn't going to stop me. :lol

So what I want to know is when you are making a garment (this is a jacket for a small child), and it doesn't tell you how many to chain...how do you start?

The pattern starts off reading like this:

Row 1: Dc in 4th ch from hook, *dc in each of next 2 chs, dec in next 3 chs, dc in each of next chs**, (dc,ch1,dc) in next ch, rep from *, ending last rep at **, 2 dc in last ch, turn

Finished size garment is to measure 24 inches.

How do you start a pattern like this? I understand all of the stitches and what they mean...I just do know how to figure out to get it going.

2 answers to this question

There is usually a line just above that "Row 1" that says chain X number of chains or "make a chain that is about 24 inches long"

If that part is missing - it is often set apart - then I would go with the 24 inch chain. (actually I would likely make it 23 inches because foundation chains tend to grow)

Archived