Doll hands--please help

whistler42

Question

4 answers to this question

I'm crocheting up some dolls, the Japanese amigurumi-style. I want to put thumbs on the hands, but am not sure how to do this.

Does anyone know how to crochet the thumb on without having to create it separately and then attach it?

Thanks,

Annette

whistler421@yahoo.com

I haven't done hands per se but I did make a glove for a doll once.

what I did was get the "hand" to the point where you want fingers. lets assume at this point that you have maybe 12 stitches...

When you are at an edge (thumb side) work 2 stitches on the front and two on the back of the fold. Now just go straight back to the first two thumb stitches and keep working only these 4 stitches and ignoring the other stitches until you have your thumb. then go back and work the other stitches for the rest of the fingers.

Clear as mud right? it is one of those things that is so easy to do and so hard to describe.

http://www.sarahanns.com/crochetworks/ghost.html

I like the way the hands are on one of the ghosts for this project. not sure if it would be appropriate for your project though........but I plan to use that method on something i am planning.

That looks like a neat way to do that. I got that pattern (I think) and I will check it out. I have been thinking of trying a Sarita doll so I might want to use it there.

Archived