What do you think?

My Brother-in-Law is being deployed with the Army National Guard to Mississippi June 22 and then to Iraq in September.:eek I want to help out as much as I can but I think there is not too much use for Crocheted Items in Iraq. I have purchased a pattern to crochet mini Care Bears to make for the kids in the family for Christmas. I know the soldiers like to give small toys to the kids over there, do you think a "care" package of mini Care Bears would be useful?:think I can't afford to buy things to send but I thought that this would be a great thing? What do you think?

The winters there do get cold AND they may actually see a little snow. I know sounds crazy but dh has been there many many times and he has seen snow a few occasions. some would give small trinkets like chewing gum or candies BUT most won't because you never know if the child is doing something for others that wil hurt them(the soldier) so they have to be very very careful.

I do think if they work in a certain "secure" area they would like to hand out tiny things for the children though. And I am sure the children would love anything that you decided to make and send. The tiny animals that will fit in your hands would be great. Light for the soldier to carry and tiny enough not to get in the way.

I have sent a great many crocheted items over to the "sandbox" but most were for warmth. I have tried to keep the items light weight so they could be stuffed in a "pack" when on patrol for longer than a day. I've made scraves, helmut caps, feet warmers (the size of lapghans), no-finger gloves and even cot sized blanket ghans. I do think the "mini Care Bears" would be a great idea. I have done a couple of "buck a bear" campaigns where people buy bears for a buck plus postage. I then sent the bears along with whatever message the sponsor wanted to write to troops who have asked for extra mail. The BEARS (donated store bought because I'm not creative enough to crochet them ....smiling...) were all about the size of beanie babies and were a BIG hit. Many of the soldiers carried them in pockets and packs; set them on their cots; or put them on the dash of their humvees. Some of the bears were sent home to the soldiers' own children.

I would say go ahead and send as many bears for distribution as you want to make. NOTHING is more appreciated than getting something from home.

Archived