Attaching squares

monkeybabies

Help!!!! I knew this would be the best place to post this....how do I assemble sqares together?? I know there are probably a million ways, but I am curious to know the easiest way. Thanks.

if you look on the ones i did in the comfortghan section for help a wounded soldier, you can see how i did it. what i do is i tie the yarn on in one spot then chain 5 and sc in oppiset square, do it back and forth until its a done and keep doing it till you have your afghan done, hope that helps:yes:yes

Hint for whip stitched squares: if they are different patterns you can work a round of sc, hdc, or dc around them before you sew them together. Work the same number of stitches around each of the different squares. (I use 20 or 21 for a 6" square plus ch2 in the corners.) Then when they're put together, it's really easy to make the stitches come out even.

Leave a string of yarn for joining.

I've found a joining method that's fairly easy, and it makes an attractive, strong join. I work an odd number of sc's on each side of a square (21 for a 6" square), with ch2 or ch3 in each corner. Then I do Priscilla Hewitt's flat braid join but I use ch 4 in the corners. http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lffunt/flatbraid.htm

This takes a bit of practice to learn, but it's easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Archived