Pattern testers needed for Pneumonia Prevention Vests Crochet Version

wee woolies

Hi,

I've been knitting pneumonia prevention vests (see HERE for more info on the vests) and thought there should be a crocheted version...SO I just finished making one. But I need your help :) If anyone is interested I would greatly appreciate it if you could try it out and let me know what you think :think and if there are any mistakes :eek Here is the LINK to the pattern if you want to check it out. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi,

How these vests work are simple...they keep the babies in the hospitals warm which helps keep them healthy....

If it's easier you could always send the finished vests to me and I can forward them to the person I send all mine to. Just email me I'll give you my snail mail addy :)

I have printed the pattern and will get started on one next week. Does it matter what color yarn? I have several partial skeins of sport weight yarn I think would be enough. But I want to be sure of color choices before I start.

I have the traditional baby colors as well as Orange, red and green and probably others. Havent looked thru my stash today :)

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for asking about color...I forgot to mention that any color is fine although I think for laundering purposes that the darker colors are probably preferred but no vests will ever be refused! I know many folks use up their leftovers and make multi-colored ones. The most important thing is keeping the babies warm and healthy :) Thanks so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated!!

Hi, I finished the crochet version last night. I can't post pics yet 'cause my son took his computer... his computer is the one that will let me load pic to photobucket.

Anyway, Will post pic later. But wanted to let you know how it went. I followed the pattern mostly...except since the seam doesn't go straight up the back ( it goes sideways) like crocheting a hat in the round, when starting to crochet the front, I crocheted 3/4 of the way around and turned going back to the other edge for the front. That way the seam is all in the back.

It won't win any crocheting contests but I think it will keep a baby warm. I will make a few more and send them to you so you can make sure they are want you need.

Do you have a pic of one you have done that you can post here or send it to me in an email?

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

How wonderful that you've already finished one :D ....I uploaded a pic of mine on the pattern page Like you said they won't win any awards for their looks but they certainly will keep babies warm. I based the crochet version on the knit pattern that is available at http://www.presbyterian.ca/ams/pneumoniapreventionvests.htm

Odd that I didn't have problems with the seam twisting and it should be on the side of the vest. I'll look at the pattern again and try to make it clearer. Thanks for your input, much appreciated! I'll send you my snail mail addy right away :)

Hi, I finished the crochet version last night. I can't post pics yet 'cause my son took his computer... his computer is the one that will let me load pic to photobucket.

Anyway, Will post pic later. But wanted to let you know how it went. I followed the pattern mostly...except since the seam doesn't go straight up the back ( it goes sideways) like crocheting a hat in the round, when starting to crochet the front, I crocheted 3/4 of the way around and turned going back to the other edge for the front. That way the seam is all in the back.

It won't win any crocheting contests but I think it will keep a baby warm. I will make a few more and send them to you so you can make sure they are want you need.

Do you have a pic of one you have done that you can post here or send it to me in an email?

Barbara

Here are pic of the pneumonia vest I made. Ran out of green so I added the off white to finish. One is a close up of the back so you can see what the seam looks like. I talked to a friend at my crochet club today and she gave me an idea about how to do the seam so that it is straight.

I'll re-read your directions again. maybe I just went off on my own ;)

front

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/myprojects1/pneumoniavestfront.jpg

back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/myprojects1/pnvestcloseupofback.jpg

Barbara

Barbara, it looks great! and as you can see this is an excellent project to help use up all those leftovers. Glad your friend was able to help with the seam...how nice that you have other crocheters close by to help :) I'm envious LOL!

:think I figured out what I did wrong on the first one I did. I crocheted it in the round...I did not turn it at the end of each row as your pattern says to do.

I am 5" into the next one and the seam is exactly where it is supposed to be. :) funny how it works when you follow the directions. :blush

I got your snail mail address and will send both to you when I finish the second one.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

It looks great!:yay Thank you sooo much for testing the pattern and making the vests so quickly....very much appreciated! Will let you know when they arrive. Thanks again and hope you have a wonderful day :D

Here is the 2nd Pneumonia vest I made.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/myprojects1/2ndpneumoniuavest.jpg

Wendy, I put them both in the mail to you today :)

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Received the vests this morning! Thanks sooo much they are simply fabulous :manyheart Will be adding them to the batch I made and sending off right away....

Thanks again for your very generous contribution to this cause!

Here is the 2nd Pneumonia vest I made.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/myprojects1/2ndpneumoniuavest.jpg

Wendy, I put them both in the mail to you today :)

Barbara

Archived