63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

ok, i made my own little pattern and numbered it all out...its on microsoft excel. i would love to show you guys, is there a way that i can? i dont see anywhere to 'browse' my computer, maybe its because i'm a new member or something.

ahh, i found the FAQ forum. nevermind!!!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a great way of learning all kinds of stitches Chelsea!! I'm working on them all in order.....figured it'll keep giving me breaks from working on the same color or kind of stitch and getting bored. And they're in a good progression I'm finding by doing them in number order as well.

Glad to hear your book arrived,...now get crochetin' girlie!! LOL

Enjoy and keep us up on the progress.

:sheepjump

i finished my first square (the hdc one)! my shipment of yarn hasnt come yet so i dug up a ball of the rose from a scarf i had made. since i only have the rose for now i'm just going to do all the rose ones until i get all my other yarn, and then i'm going to get caught up on them. i think i'm going to do 5 of one color, then do 5 of the other colors and do the finishing all at the end of each group. like when i have 15 squares, 5 of each, i'll do the edging. i'm on the puff stitch one right now i love it! its soo cool looking, the way the yarn just happens to make it stick out that way. the yarn wont come until tuesday and since the first semester is over now and i dont have school until wednesday, i have a feeling i'm going to have a lot of free time and i dont want to waste that just because the shipment hasnt come. (unless i run out of the rose, of course! i am not going to allow myself to go to michaels for a long time because i just spent $40 on this project, in one week, and i'm quitting my job so that was kinda like a punch in the stomach! but i figured it would be better to buy it all at once and get it over with.)

i finished my second square!! (no. 7). did anyone have the problem that it came out a little (maybe a centimeter) smaller than the other squares? (although, i only have ONE to compare it to..) i think though with blocking i can stretch it out a little. now i am on my 3rd but i ran out of yarn so now ihave to wait until tuesday cause tomorrow i probably wont be going anywhere (its SNOWING!! YIPPEEE!!!) :w-snow2 :w-sman :w-snow

Chelsea, I had to use a size I hook to get square #7 to come out the right size. You will probably need to switch hook sizes on some of the squares to get them to come out the right size. You can see the hook sizes I used in my gallery.

i think i'll try that. my other problem is when i am finishing, around on the sides, i never know where to insert the hook on the sides, since there are all sorts of different holes. i usually just pick one that when i pull the string through it doesnt leave a big gaping hole. is this alright? cause my edging doesn't look like yours, yours is really neat and straight. i made the grannysquare one last night, not hard since i made a whole poncho out of it! i'll try blocking the puff square before i start on a new one cause i dont want to waste any yarn.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Julie is listing her hook sizes, too.

Yes, exactly. Just insert your hook where ever it looks best and doesn't leave a gaping hole. Are you doing two rounds of edging, one in the same color as the square and one in the cream color (or whatever color you are using to edge)? Lots of folks miss that part in the instructions. You've got to do the first round of edging inthe same color as the square or it won't look neat.

If you've only got a cm difference (I believe that's what I remember you said), blocking the puff square should work fine.

Starting this week, I am going back to this CAL. I've got 5 squares done. And the yarn purchased. I may just start over though - I've learned a lot since I started. I did the first square wrong, and I've been bordering incorrectly.

my yarn came!!!! but the green is totally different then it looked, so i am sending it back. it looked like a light sage (what i wanted) and it is mint, and totally clashes. so back it goes!

yep, one edge of each! gotcha! i am excited to start on the other colors!!!

Sounds like you're totally pumped and doing great Chelsea!! Each square done is a square closer to being snuggled under an afghan that you have created and put lots of heart into!!

Way to go!!

I posted a little "tale" on my blog I wrote on Sunday morning as I was taking a breathing break from popcorn square after popcorn square after popcorn more....

If you're interested in reading it and maybe having a chuckle or grin, I'm sure you've experienced the same feeling, maybe with popcorn stitches or maybe one of the other squares. Story is at www.julbea.blogspot.com

:spina

lmao Very good tale. I may have to peek ahead in my book and tackle those babies in between the easier squares.

Montana Mommy wrote:

I keep hearing about this leaflet (book? not sure) that everyone is doing here, but I'm not sure where to get it. Is it something everyone is ordering online or would I get lucky and be able to find it at Michaels or Ben Franklin? I'd really like to play along, I just don't know where to start! :)

Sorry, I meant to add this to the 63 square post, but I got sidetracked when I had to login again!

ZingyZoid wrote:

I got mine at Michael's and one for a friend at Walmart and JoAnn's has them too.:))

Stacy

My Blog

i bought mine online...at micheals yesterday i checked and they didnt have it. but i DID by a new set of crystalites! (i LOVE THOSE THINGS!!!!) i decided not to send back the mint...it IS rather pretty and my cousin is expecting, in like september so i figure when i get bored in the summer i can make a baby blanket, cause i have like, 5 skeins of the stuff and figure, for a baby blanket, that should be enough? but lets not discuss THAT afghan before until i get at LEAST 10 squares done!!!! i completely finished 3 today (edged and everything..) and now i am starting on my first cream square. just to see, i (loosely, and didnt tie off of course) stitched together 2 squares just to see what it would look like! awww! it was SO CUTE! i can't wait to have it to cuddle up in...its gonna be so pretty!!!!

Yesterday I had a Michael's 40% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket. Then I was reading (various) posts at Crochetville and looking at the albums linked to the user names. Now I have a leaflet called "63 Easy-To-Crochet Pattern Stitches":bad Please, please, please, let me join in the fun :bounce

Back in the day (that would be about 20 years ago), the only yarn to choose from was thread or sport yarns. Today, the choice is almost overwhelming! This Christmas, I made my daughter a hat and scarf out of eyelash yarn and ? (can't find that label right now :mad , but it was so soft ), and I absolutely loved working with it. On the other hand, I made her boyfriend a hat and scarf out of homespun and hated every minute of it, not to mention the hours I spent ripping out and doing it again, and again, and again. Soooo, I'm going to be very picky about which yarn I choose for this project.

I didn't have time to read the first 45 pages of this thread, where I'm sure you guys have talked about yarn to use, etc., but I plan to start reading tonight because I WANT TO GET STARTED!

Looking forward to doing this (never been in a crochet-along before--sounds like so much fun!)

MDS :wowdrool

Hey, MDS! Glad you're joining us! :woohoo Welcome! I've added you to the list. I think a regular worsted weight yarn in acrylic or an acrylic-wool blend is best to use for this afghan. If you use something fancy, you won't be able to distinguish all the pretty different stitches that are used in each square.

Archived