63 Squares Crochet Along

Donna

Angie and dlyons98, I'm glad you're joining us! :woohoo I've added you both to the list.

dlyons, #8 (chevron relief stitch) is a tough one. I had to rip mine out several times. My advice on that one is to read and follow the instructions very carefully, doing exactly what they say rather than what you think they say. I know I had that problem with this one! :P If there's a specific part of it that's giving you trouble, let us know and we'll do our best to help! :yes

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I have to agree with Donna. #9 was one where I did it and it didn't work, did it again and it still didn't work. Then I really read it and shook my head and said "No way is THAT going to work!!" but it did. Go figure! :oops

Ok I have read many post about people ripping out yarn and starting over. It was my understanding that when you do this you strech the yarn and it makes the guage off? What Im I missing here? I have been throwing mine away and starting over and really starting to get worried about running out of yarn and not being able to get the same again. (Yes I bought extra but only one skein each extra)

:coffee

Yup, I finished it! ...in record time for the cool - cold! - wintery days (yes, even sunny California has days of frost)!

Photos of my 63 Squares Afghan are posted at <a href="http://www.tamemymind.com/artscrafts/pages/gallery63squares.php" target="_new">www.tamemymind.com/artscrafts/pages/gallery63squares.php</a>

-Cheryl

I have read many post about people ripping out yarn and starting over. It was my understanding that when you do this you strech the yarn and it makes the guage off?

I'm definitely not a pro about anything but frogging (ripping back out your work - rip it, rip it like Michelle said :)) ) but I'll take a guess at this question. When you do make the difficult decision to frog something, you just have to be careful about doing it. Don't yank the stitches back out which could stretch the yarn but pull it gently. You'll feel as you go what is the easiest for the yarn. Some yarn gives a bad result when you frog it, but those are usually the wispy mohair-like yarns. Regular worsted weight acrylics that most of us are using for this project can handle several frogging sessions. Trust me, I learned the hard way!! :))

Wow, these afghans are beautiful that have been posted this week! I just want to say that I am so grateful to have so much support The pictures are sooo helpful:grouphug I have to redo a couple of squares, I don't know what I did wrong but #17 is completely different (though "usable") I suppose. I need to refer to everyone's pictures more often:idea Thanks everyone!

Molly

Guest dlyons98

well now i am stuck on #11 it looks nothing like it is supposed to i have no clue what i am doing wrong im going to work on it again tonight and hopefully i can figure it out. Im so glad to have found so many people that are doing this!!!!

Angie, I hear what you're saying about reusing yarn. But I don't think it's that the yarn stretches. What happens is that the yarn gets sort of pinched and curled up. Which would definitely affect both your gauge and the appearance of the item you're making. But I find that doesn't usually happen quickly. If I've just crocheted something recently, I find it's not a problem. If you're ripping something you've made a long time ago, here are some tips that will help get those kinks out: Reusing Yarn. Chie followed those instructions on some yarn that had been knitted for years and said it worked great. LOL, you'll never find me discarding good yarn! :P Oh, and I'm totally agreeing with Julie about being careful when frogging. :yes

Molly, I'm glad you're finding all our photos helpful! Glad you found us! :grouphug

dlyons, #11 (horizontal relief stitch) is a tough one too. Keep at it, you will get it! :cheer2 Let us know if we can help.

Guest dlyons98

well i got the relief stitch finally yay:bounce and i just finished # 13 i just have to read the instructions very carefully because i read them and do what i think it says instead of what is actually says thanks for the support !!!:ty

Hi everyone, I've gone back to re-do #13 and first time it was TOO BIG, this time it is too small:bang so I'm doing the rip-it rip-it rip-it AGAIN! I can't find the notes in here regarding this square. Can someone please help me? I finally got the hang of the stitch, just can't get the gauge.:ohdear Thanks! Molly

kbmacu wrote:

My name is Lisa and I am new to crocheting. I bought the 63 stitches book a few years ago tried it got frustrated and quit. Just yesterday I decided to try again and last night I found this message board so I would like to join your crochet along.

I have a question my blocks are turning out to be 8" instead of 7 as long as they are all the same size is that alright or should I try again? Forgive me if this is a silly question I am very new to crocheting.

Thanks

Lisa

Welcome, Lisa! :hi I'm glad you're joining us! I've added you to the list.

As far as the squares being an inch bigger, that is okay as long as they're all the same size. That often happens if you're using a thicker worsted weight yarn like Red Heart Super Saver. (What yarn are you using?) Remember, though, that if the squares are bigger, you'll probably need more yarn than the pattern calls for.

Archived