Thread is more "slippery" than I remember

Well, I finally finished my doily. It is the first time I have used thread in over 10 years. I got away from thread when I discovered yarn but was guilted back into "thread" crochet by another crafter friend.

It turned out OK, but honestly that thread is a whole lot more slippery than I ever remember it being. It seems like I was forever readjusting the thread tension in my left hand (I'm right handed). There were times when loops of white just fluttered right off my hand. Geez, I feel like a "novice" again (LOL)!!!

Anyone have a good hint on how better to keep a steady tension? I am using bedspread cotton.

I have noticed that I hold yarn differently than I hold thread. With yarn, my hand is held more "openly", meaning my index and pinky are more spread out. With thread, my hand is more closed, with my index finger closer to my middle and my pinky right next to my ring finger. Granted, the thread occasionally gets caught between my wedding band and engagement ring, but it's only a minor annoyance. I think i had to practice these differences a bit, but now it's a subconscious action on the part of my hands...then again, I've been switching back and forth more often. ;)

I picked up a ball of thread that wasn't mercereized and it was completely different. The slickness between the brands is really noticable too. Maybe try a different brand of thread?

Archived