advice please on charging for work

TThis is my nice dilema, my friend at my local knitting group came across a crochet pattern for a cardigan she really likes in her magazine and asked if i could make it for her. She then ofered to pay me for my time. I have know idea what to charge, tried suggesting she bourght me the 2001 crochet block book but she doesn't think thats enough. The thing is she quite often knits for people and charges 30- 50 pounds plus the wool. I know shes on disability benefits and feel thats toomuch to ask her,but the motif band at the bottom of the cardi is quite complex, with curlicue petals on flowers and as its all 4ply cotton with a 2.5mm hook it will take quite a lot of time. Anyone got any suggestions as i don't want to offend her.

I think that cost of yarn is fair. As for your time it depends on the pattern and what you think is fair. Since it is a difficult pattern with lots of color changes then it is up to you. If you feel that you are somewhat of an expert then I know as a mathematics teacher I charge a minimum of $10.00 US dollars an hour. You mentioned pounds and in British pounds it is about 5.07 British pounds. Between friends it is your decision.:yes

TThis is my nice dilema, my friend at my local knitting group came across a crochet pattern for a cardigan she really likes in her magazine and asked if i could make it for her. She then ofered to pay me for my time. I have know idea what to charge, tried suggesting she bourght me the 2001 crochet block book but she doesn't think thats enough. The thing is she quite often knits for people and charges 30- 50 pounds plus the wool. I know shes on disability benefits and feel thats toomuch to ask her,but the motif band at the bottom of the cardi is quite complex, with curlicue petals on flowers and as its all 4ply cotton with a 2.5mm hook it will take quite a lot of time. Anyone got any suggestions as i don't want to offend her.

I also am on disability benefits and not the highest and I think £30-£50 is reasonable. As she sells her own stuff she will know the time and effort that is put into it so I would charge at least £30 for it, but its what you feel comfortable charging in the end of the day that matters.

Archived