Substitute Yarn for Berroco Ultra Alpaca

loopy1

Question

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/kluster/kluster.html. It's a crocheted hook case.

th_alpacacm.jpg

Thanks to CinkCank (KnicKnac) for this pattern that calls for Berroco Ultra Alpaca.

Can Caron Felt-It be substituted?

It's 100% wool and a medium weight yarn.

Also, see my Posts #3, 5 and 7 please!

I don't know anything about wool yarns except that you have to use 100% wool for felting.

Thanks for any help!

FLUFFY SMILES...FLUFFY SMILES...FLUFFY SMILES...FLUFFY SMILES

:fluffy:manyheart:hug

7 answers to this question

I haven't used the Caron Felt-It, but any worsted weight non-superwash wool should work. I honestly have no idea why the pattern would use alpaca for a hook holder anyhow, in my opinion, it's too expensive! But that's just me.

Yes, any feltable wool (or alpaca if you want) in worsted weight should work. :hook

Thanks for answering Trafor! Appreciate it! I thought the same as you about the expense for a hook case. But the pattern did come from the Berroco web site...maybe that's the only wool they have?? I don't know since I'm not familiar with the expensive yarns. Was planning to check out the LYS tomorrow to see if they're participating in the squares for the VA Tech families and to check out the yarns now that I know a little more about them.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand...my 20 doubles is supposed to measure 10" but it measures 13"! It's pretty loose...is that bad for felting? Should I try an M or N hook?

:fluffy:manyheart:hug

Loose is good for felting....I made this case with Lion Brand Wool, and made it a bit larger, it's fine. The only thing to consider is that different wools felt differently, so either do a gage square and felt it or really keep a close eye on the felting process.

And you note...I'm being good too.

Thanks for coming over here from the Secret Pals Swap to help! You're so sweet to help a competitive camper! I'll never forget you for this! I'm noting that you're being good! :angel Don't you make me regret it now! :lol

Do I have to make a gauge swatch with 20 dc which is supposed to = 10", but it doesn't? Or can I maybe try to make a 5" swatch which will probably take less than 10 dc?

I mean, the gauge swatch here is just measured in one direction...horizontally I think.

Do you think my 20 dc measuring 13" will be okay? Cause I want mine to be bigger, too! But I don't want it to end up being holey. I'd rather be closer to gauge and add on more dc's.

If I felt my 2 rows that I've done will I be wasting that yarn? :yarn I just can't stand to waste any yarn. No, not any of my yarn.:yarn I can't stand to waste it!:yarn I just can't stand it!:yarn I've been diagnosed with neurosis of wasting yarn.:yarn

Waaaa! I need someone to hold my hand!

Loose is good for felting....I made this case with Lion Brand Wool, and made it a bit larger, it's fine. The only thing to consider is that different wools felt differently, so either do a gage square and felt it or really keep a close eye on the felting process.

And you note...I'm being good too.

I'll hold your hand! But I have to warn you, sometimes felting goes wrong...horribly wrong. I TRIED to make the case a second time...wanted it bigger but forgot that using only one strand would felt tighter than using two strands...so didn't make the unfelted piece big enough. Oh well, it's now a pretty felted childs scarf. Or maybe it will get cut up and become needle holders...hmm...

I'll hold your hand! But I have to warn you, sometimes felting goes wrong...horribly wrong. I TRIED to make the case a second time...wanted it bigger but forgot that using only one strand would felt tighter than using two strands...so didn't make the unfelted piece big enough. Oh well, it's now a pretty felted childs scarf. Or maybe it will get cut up and become needle holders...hmm...
Okay, Kathy, you're holding my hand. Now what!

POSTED EARLIER BY LOOPY1

Do I have to make a gauge swatch with 20 dc which is supposed to = 10", but it doesn't? Or can I maybe try to make a 5" swatch which will probably take less than 10 dc?

I mean, the gauge swatch here is just measured in one direction...horizontally I think.

Do you think my 20 dc measuring 13" will be okay? Cause I want mine to be bigger, too! But I don't want it to end up being holey. I'd rather be closer to gauge and add on more dc's.

If I felt my 2 rows that I've done will I be wasting that yarn? :yarn I just can't stand to waste any yarn. No, not any of my yarn.:yarn I can't stand to waste it!:yarn I just can't stand it!:yarn I've been diagnosed with neurosis of wasting yarn.:yarn

Should I try it with an M or N hook to get closer to gauge?

Loopy1: I think making it to 13" would work--unfelted. I made this case before, and if need be, you can keep up with the felting process until it's the size desired. That's what I did, and the case turned out beautifully. HTH!

:hug

Archived