elizabeth hiddleson

I am curious to learn more about this designer. i have googled her name but come up with only patterns. is she still alive? how many pattern booklets did she publish? Does anyone know anything about her, besides wanting to sell her booklets? thank you:)

I searched for a long time this is what I found

Elizabeth (of Vallejo California) was an American crochet pattern designer from the early 1950's. Her patterns have written instructions and very good sharp black and white photographs, which make them easy to follow. Also very good for those people who do not read patterns but prefer to work from the picture. She was a prolific crochet designer through to the 80's. At one time she worked for Coats and Clark, and then she wrote designs for various magazines. Finally, she wrote designs and sold her own booklets of them. From what I have gathered from wording it is pasted tension, hence I would assume she has passed away.

http://www.blujay.com/item/Vintage-Crochet-Doily-Patterns-Book-by-Elizabeth-Hiddleson-10140103-1410509

The link about has a picture of her.

Hope that helps a little.

:manyheart

Kidget

Here is an extract from a copyrighted article I wrote for the CGOA ChainLink a few years ago:

On January 31, 2003 Elizabeth Hiddleson died at age 101. She left crocheters an impressive legacy. Through most of the twentieth century, she designed and published thread patterns; doilies, table cloths, lampshades, children’s clothes, etc.

Beginning in the 1930’s, several thread companies printed her designs in their pamphlets, unattributed. In the mid 1950’s she decided to publish and market her patterns herself, and met immediate success. She produced 59 44-page volumes, “by Elizabeth Hiddleson” prominent on the front of each - in her spare time, after her full time job and taking care of her two children, in Vallejo, California.

Decorative Crochet and Magic Crochet printed almost two hundred of her patterns between 1985 and 1995 as well, most rated easy or intermediate to make.

Elizabeth Hiddleson’s patterns are unmistakably hers. Where other designers use double crochet stitches, she uses treble, giving her patterns a loose open look, more like net embroidery than lace. Most of the pattern stitches are chain, single, double and treble crochet, done one-on-one. Her designs usually depend on a picture, rather than on the texture of the stitches; rarely does she use a popcorn stitch or Irish rose. Her favorite motifs are pineapple, pinwheel, and, especially, spider web. She uses the reverse arch extensively.

www.countryyarns.com has Hiddleson’s remaining inventory for purchase. The MC and DC issues are not readily available.

I have quite a few of her books, and while I have never made even one of her designs, I wouldn't part with them for the world. I just love to "read" them and admire her talent.

Archived