Need help with finishing

Linda0902

Question

Hi all!

I just completed a hooded sweater with Bernat's Softee Chunky. I'm ready to put it together. I tried sewing the seams with a tapestry needle using the same yarn, but it came out looking rather messy - I was not happy with it at all. What type of seam should I use? Should I do a single crochet? Another factor is that the yarn is varigated, so in some places it shows quite a bit. Any ideas?

Linda

4 answers to this question

I've only ever made one sweater, but I think I whip-stitched the seams together. It turned out fine. Whichever method you use, stitching only through the back loops might help with your stitches showing through.

When you want an invisible join, the mattress stitch is the only way to go. This example is from knitty - but it works just as well with crochet. It really isn't hard. I've used this when I had to join panels with stripes and I didn't want to switch the color of my sewing yarn. Depending on the colors of the varigation, you may want to look for a matching color of Bernat's Softee line that is not chunky.

Archived