Making a Blocking Board

Any suggestions on making a blocking board without using styrafoam? I cringe at even typing out the word! :2eek I really hate that HORRIBLE sound it makes when one piece of styrafoam touches another piece of styrafoam! :faint

Anyway, whatever suggestions you have would be appreciated! :hook

Mary <><

MSL: Try using foamcore board. Yes, it has foam in it, but it has paper backing on both sides. I can't stand the sound styrofoam makes, myself, so I use the other stuff instead. It's cheap, and it works. Michael's, JoAnn's Etc., Wal-Mart, and a bunch of other places carry it for less than $3 a sheet.

I had just read my free copy of Talking Crochet from my e-mail , and there was an article about a lady named Joy Royof Eddyville, Illinois ( I had to refer back to the article for her name) what she did was get a piece of "popcorn board," she said it was that same soft plastic material that is molded around appliances in their shipping crates, and can be found in 4 x 8-foot sheets in the lumberyard. If you would like me to forward my e-mail copy to you I will its a very interesting Article and she goes into detail as to how she made it ...I had quoted part of what she had said and then decided to remove it ...i wouldn't want to break any rules...if ya want me to forward my copy let me know

I use those folding cutting boards, the cardboard already has a grid marked on it (some even have circles on them). Cheap and disposable :-)

Any suggestions on making a blocking board without using styrafoam? I cringe at even typing out the word! :2eek I really hate that HORRIBLE sound it makes when one piece of styrafoam touches another piece of styrafoam! :faint

Anyway, whatever suggestions you have would be appreciated! :hook

Mary <><

This person has several suggestions:

http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/blocking.html#boards

Someone already mentioned foam core, but I haven't seen the other suggestion for using the cardboard that comes with a bolt of fabric.

This may sound a bit pricey/weird, but if someone does a LOT of doilies it may not be a bad suggestion.

I have a big wooden pastry board that has circles on it from Linens 'n Things. (You can go to www.lnt.com and put pastry board in the search box, and the item I have will come up.)

I'd imagine you could use a compass to put additional circles/markings on. Maybe varnish it or cover with saran after putting all the markings you want on? It's just a thought for a permanent blocking board for circles. Feel free to laugh at me for thinking of it! :D I haven't done this with my board, but I'm thinking about it!

P.S. You can usually use coupons from LNT and Bed Bath and Beyond at each others stores, so could buy it with one of those $5 off of a $15 purchase coupons.

Archived