Amigurumi step by step help

All things sweet

Question

I have seen so many patterns that i am trying to do but i am a visual person. the most trouble i am having is decresing and increasing.

Does anyone know a website where it shows you step by step (with photos). i have just learnt how to make granny squares but only learn it by watching it on you tube.

i hope someone can help as i really want to get the hang of these cute things!!

7 answers to this question

Hi, All Things! "Increasing" a stitch just means that you work two stitches in the stitch indicated instead of one. "Decreasing" is a little more complicated, but not difficult. I have some tutorials on my site: http://www.crochetkitten.com/tutorials/dec.html

You also might be able to find something on CPC's Tutorial Directory: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/instruction_directory.php.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

I had a go at the easiest pattern i could fine and i think it went okay. He looks a little bit crooked in some parts but i think it is okay...

He looks good to me! As for when to increase and decrease, it really all depends on what you want the shape to look like. Most amigurumis will start out something like this: Rnd 1: Ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Rnd 2: (1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. Rnd 3: (1 sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. The pattern usually continues in that fashion, with each round adding one sc between increases, until it is as wide as you want it to be. Then the pattern is worked evenly (1 sc in each sc) until it is as long as you want it to be. Then you can start decreasing to the point where you can "close" the shape.

Of course, you can make variations on the final shape by adding increases and decreases anywhere you want in the pattern, to make it a little more narrow here or wider there. The best way to learn the effects of increases and decreases on the shape of the project is just take your hook and go at it, and see what you come up with. And if you write down everything you do for each project you create, you'll know how to recreate that effect next time you want to use it.

Archived