Tunisian Crochet Help

tamugrad02

Question

So I have finally figured out the tunisian crochet (or afghan stitch) and have been practicing and it looks pretty good:cheer.....so now I want to make an afghan.......the hook I bought is a solid hook, though I have seen the ones that have the cable on the end, presumably so you can make wider afghans (or whatever you're making). So my question is....what is the best way to make an afghan.....should I cram the entire width of the 'ghan on the hook, buy a longer hook, or make strips and then piece them together??? I want to crosstich something onto the afghan when its done, so I wasn't sure about piecing strips together.....any help would be appreciated....thanks.:manyheart

9 answers to this question

Well it depends on how big your design will be that you want to stitch on. I am working on one right now that was made in panels...the design is stitched on before I will join the panels. With the pattern I am using, the panels are connected with a border instead of sewing them together. I made 3 panels that are 14 inches wide and the length of the afghan ....and 2 panels that are 4 inches wide with a smaller design stitched up the length. Good luck and please share pics when you're done!!:D

I did think about putting the design on before putting the panels together, but with the design I want, I don't know how well it would work......I'm making a maroon afghan and in the middle I'm going to have my University's symbol....so it's going to be one big design in the middle.....do you think I could sew it on before piecing the panels?

You could sew it on before putting it together.....but just make sure that you follow your gragh very carefully so the panels will match up.....In this case I would probably either connect the panels and then stitch the design....or make a wide enough center panel for your design and then you could make 2 narrower panels to border it....It's just a suggestion...Good Luck!!:hook

You know, 181 stitches is probably enough for a center panel...and then I can make smaller panels to border it like Amber said!! :clapThanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Hi,

Crochet Today has a new pattern for an afhgan , Tunisian, the pattern is beautiful. Check http://www.crochettoday.com . It is in the new issue. It would probably answer your question. I am going out to but the mag today as the afghan impressed me.

Mathwizard

I just got back from my local Barnes and Noble Bookstore. The tunisian afghan pattern is fabulous. In the pattern it tells you about panels and joining them together. This will answer your question.

Mathwizard

Archived