Crochet! Coral Charisma Jacket CAL

I know that several of us here are interested in making the jacket on the cover of Crochet! magazine. I am very intimidated by the pattern. I'm pretty much an afghan person but I really want to try this.:drool

jacket.jpg

I would definitely like to have some others who are making it with me in case we run into problems we can help each other out.

I've already chosen my yarn. I'm going to use Caron Simply Soft in Off White. I used this recently on an afghan and fell in love with it.

So..... here goes! :hyperAnybody want to join in? :yay Please! ;)

Participants:

BarbaraJean (started 05/01/07)

I am thinking about it! I love that jacket but I am not sure as from what I remember from the sizes listed I don't think I would get a good fit. Maybe if I messed with the gauge.

Also, I don't think Simply Soft would work for this pattern...Isn't the yarn listed in the pattern a size 3 cotton thread? I am going from memory but that is what I thought. Also, Simply soft might be a little fuzzy for the pattern, unless that is what you want? :think

I will let you know if I decide to do it though, I love that pattern!

I am thinking about it! I love that jacket but I am not sure as from what I remember from the sizes listed I don't think I would get a good fit. Maybe if I messed with the gauge.

Also, I don't think Simply Soft would work for this pattern...Isn't the yarn listed in the pattern a size 3 cotton thread? I am going from memory but that is what I thought. Also, Simply soft might be a little fuzzy for the pattern, unless that is what you want? :think

I will let you know if I decide to do it though, I love that pattern!

Oh, I hope you decide to join! :clap

The pattern calls for Universal Bellagio which is a light worsted weight yarn. The weight rating on it is a "3". Caron Simply Soft is a "4" which is why my square is almost ½ inch larger than guage. I'm pretty sure it will still be okay, just a bit larger.

Oh! I guess my memory is not as good as it used to be :lol But 1/2" for one square I think will really increase the size dramatically when you multiply it by the # of squares you need so it will need some refiguring...I was thinking about doing it in a paton's grace type yarn but I don't think it is light worsted. Well yarn shopping is fun-so no problem there :yarn

Well, I'd still love to do this jacket. I found the Bellagio yarn, got a sample of it. It is beautiful, but it's $6.30 a skien and I need 15 skeins. The pattern calls for 14 for the xl size, but I want to have extra. Plus I'm tall. But it's not in my budget just yet to spend almost $100 for this.

The only other yarns that are cheaper that might work are Microspun or something like that. Bellagio is cotton and nylon. So it has a different drape when crocheted. It will also slide more on the body than acrylic yarns like Simply Soft.

I think I'm still going to do this with the Bellagio, because I think it really is worth it. Given especially how detailed the squares and joining are. I'm sure it's beautiful when done.

But I'd love to see anyones variation. And I will definately follow everyone here.

Good luck on this! :hook

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the magazine the 1st of May and as soon as it comes in, I'll join you in this CAL. I think I might use double strands of Paton's Grace yarn for it in either Blush or Ginger to get the gauge I need.

Wonderful! I'd love to have somebody work this with me. I haven't done much with it the past few days.

I do not recommend Caron Simply Soft. It's a nice yarn and I love it for afghans but not this project. I'm still going to finish it in SS though.

Archived