Finishing spirals & Working rounds

desdema

Question

Is there a way to end off a spiral that makes the item edge even? Right now when I finish a spiral there is a visible endpoint, like a notch in the edge of the circle.

I wouldn't even need an answer to that question if I could figure out how to make actual rounds. I've looked at many online guides to working in rounds and still I don't think I'm doing them right. First, should I be able to tell where the joins are when I'm done? It's not very obvious, but I can definitely see it when I go looking for it.

I made a hat in rounds and the joined spots don't make a straight line from the center to the edge of the piece (like a radius line) - they scoot to the left a bit with every round so that in the end the joins make more of a diagonal line. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Here is exactly what I do when I work a round, so maybe someone can point out my errors (let's say this is a tube so no increases to confuse the issue):

- ch1 then sc however many st

- when I hit the end of the row I do not work anything into the ch1

- I sl st through both top threads of the first stitch

- ch1 and sc into the second stitch of the previous row

- work sc around the row

- at the end of this row I work an sc into the sl st of the previous row then skip the ch1 and do a sl st through the first st of row

I hope that translates okay. And I hope someone out there can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

When you're working in a spiral like that the color changes are going to move like that which is why most items are worked in a single color. I don't think there's any way to line up the color changes.

A spiral is just that, it keeps spiraling out like a snail shell, even in a solid color the new round moves to the left a little.

As for ending it, do you sl st into the next st when you're finished? I thing that would leave less of a 'notch'.

The join will move with each round.

when ending the spiral I usually do several smaller stitches to end off. For example--if I have been doing double crochet stitches, I will do a couple of half double stitches then 2 single crochet and finally a couple of slip stitches. That makes for a less noticible "notch" when finishing.

Archived