County Fair Submission questions

Hi! I have been inspired by all of you who have submitted items to your local fairs. I found the guidelines for our county fair (coming this July) and would like to enter a few pieces. Having never done this, any tips on what the judges may be looking for? Also, does it have to be an original pattern, or can we use a pattern for a book? (I couldn't find guidelines on this on our fair's website) Any other tips you may be willing to give me about fair submissions would be great. Thanks!

I have no idea what our local county guidelines are, but I see the "same old ripple afghans" or their equivalent every year. It is hard to distinguish one year from another. Knitting is nearly non-exisitent here and the quality of work submitted is very poor. Crochet is much better but honestly, it all looks the same to me. Personally I would like to see somebody break away just a bit!

It's so very hard to say as far as pattern selections. Some judges enjoy seeing the same old granny's and ripple's, some look for difficulty and beauty in pattern. All look for quality of stitches. I know you'll do great.

Seems like our judges here tend to like something that will catch their eye. I have been entering for 6 years. Lots of firsts every year but no best of show yet. I enter in afghans, childrens sweaters, pot holders, and whatever else I have ready

Archived