Birthstone colors?

When it comes to yarn, does anyone know what the "proper" colors are for each month's birthday? I have a few birthdays coming up for family and friends and would love a list of each month's correct color. Also, does anyone know much about prayer blankets? I know different colors are supposed to stand for certain things, but am not sure what they are. Any advice or help would be appreciated!!! :manyheart

I have a book by Leisure Arts entitled "Birthday Afghans" with a pattern for each month of the year. They pretty much follow the same colors as the ones for birthstones, ie, garnet for January, amethyst for February, aquamarine for March, etc.

From the small calendar book I carry in my purse:

January - garnet

February - amethyst

March - bloodstone or aquamarine

April - diamond

May - emerald

June - pearl, moonstone or alexandrite

July - ruby

August - sardonyx or peridot

September - sapphire

October - opal or tourmaline

November - topaz

December - turquoise or zircon

I've never quite understood why some months have alternate birthstones with totally different colors, but as an August baby I had rather have sardonyx which is red, than peridot, a lime-ish green. Guess which my grandmother (also an August baby) chose and gave me before she died?

Right on — peridot it is! Earrings, a necklace and a ring. I rarely use them partly because the earrings are screw on and more because peridot doesn't go much with my clothes. But they are beautiful and I naturally think of her every time I wear them!

I just went through this with my grammie afghan. Redheart definately had the best selection of "jewel" colors. Except for November. I used caron simply soft in melon. It's a bit smaller, so I had to use one size larger hook, but it was the prettiest topaz I could find.

Shaunna

Archived