Online purchases of yarn

I have a question. If I were to purchase a big order of yarn online from say...Lion brand, would it be more likely to get all of the same shade? You know the same dye lot or what not.

Here's my reason for the question. Recently I got a pattern that I was so excited to try that I went out bought the yarn at Michaels and didn't bother to check the dye lots or match the skeins of yarn, so now my project is one half dark of the same color and it's a wearable. GGGRRRR! I burned myself in the past by not checking the numbers, so i have been, except for this one time.

Anyway, I was just curious. My project is a trial and I really want to make one for me to wear and I don't want it different shades.

Thanks for the input all. Hope your weekend was/is going good.

Val:)

In my experience there is a good chance you will get the same dye lot in a big order. Keeping in mind that the yarn can *still* cary in color. I have experienced this. I have purchased the same yarn at the same time and have seen variations in the colors--unfortunately.

Sorry about your project being different colors. :(

I buy almost all of my yarn from Joann.com -- mostly 10-12 skeins at a time -- and the dye lots have always matched (so far). The yarn usually is packaged in plastic in 3s, so the likelyhood of getting the same dye lot is better (4 bags have to match versus 12 individual skeins). They don't guarantee same dye lots, just to cover themselves, but I've never had a problem with Joann. As for Lion, I've never ordered with them, so I can't speak for them specifically. I like to think that the packer of your box, being as they pack yarn all the time, would be aware of dye lots and try to match them. But that's just my view. :wink

Lion Brand sends all matching skeins. Joann says it doesn't guarantee all the same dye lot, and once I had two skeins from a different dye lot in one of my orders. The rest of my orders, however, were all from the same dye lot.

I just had a massive order come through. 20 skeins of two different colours. It was Caron Simply Soft...no dye lot, and it was all the same shade. (I know sometimes when it says no dye lot, that they can vary in shade)

Archived