hands going numb

You can also get another nerve problem in your hand in the fingers that the carpal tunnel doesnt affect. It's called Ulnar Tunnel Syndrome. it's from inflammation on the ulnar nerve...which controls the pinky side of the ring finger and your pinky. http://www.selfcare4rsi.com/ulnar-tunnel-syndrome-symptoms.html

Thanks for that link. It describes most of what happens with me, and stretching and weight training both seem to help the pain in my upper left shoulder blade area for a couple of days. Since I can feel the nerve in my elbow sometimes, also, and those are the fingers that usually are affected (especially at night, when I lie on my arms), ulnar tunnel syndrome sounds like what it might be. I'll look into it further.

This happens to me alot. sometimes , I have to take breaks from crochet. It is probably carpal tunnel syndrome, where the nerves get kind of twisted and painful. My mom was a crocheter and she had to have surgery for this. she let them do one wrist, but not the other because the one she had the surgery on still hurt and became very weak.

Sometimes I'll have pain shoot up all the way to my shoulder. People that type alot sometimes get this , or people that take blood pressures all day too---did that as an EMT myself.

I just talked to my doctor yesterday about this, his suggestion was to stop crocheting, I told him that would never happen. So he told me to wear a wrist brace at night while I sleep. Too restrict movement in the wrist. I tried it last night, and I did not wake up with the tingleing in my fingers or the pain in my arm, I have been doing crochet off and on all day and not much pain to speak of and before it was was prctically the first stitch. So I will be doing this everynight from now on. He did say it was more than likely a overworked nerve or pinched nerve.

• 13 years later...

Archived