Eddie Bauer catalog ... TONS of RTW crochet

Before I threw out the Eddie Bauer catalog, I took a quick glance through it largely because of the pretty crocheted cardigan on the cover. And it is just chockablock with beautiful crocheted sweaters. I would LOVE to crochet some patterns like these!! The stitch patterns for most of them don't look too hard, and the shaping looks fairly standard, too.

Did anybody else see these and have a reaction? Know of any sources for patterns like these?

Just popped over to the website. It does look like they have some neat stuff! I'd love simmilar patterns too! (but with larger sleeves, I have arms, not sticks....)

Just popped over to the website. It does look like they have some neat stuff! I'd love simmilar patterns too! (but with larger sleeves, I have arms, not sticks....)

:rofl :rofl

I'm thinking of trying to reverse-engineer this one:

sweater

It reminds me of the knitted Dollar and a Half Cardigan from the last Interweave Knits. That one was v-neck though, and one of the front pieces was a different pattern (more vertical than horizontal patterning).

So I'm thinking along the lines of something like the Eddie Bauer one, with a deep V neck and maybe the bell-shaped sleeves (like the Dollar and a Half). Or maybe just straight sleeves like the Eddie Bauer cardi.

I don't think the stitch pattern on this looks all that difficult. The solid section looks like just rows of dcs. The openwork pattern looks like 3 dc in the top of a stitch, skip 2 sts, (dc, ch, dc) in the next stitch. Then on the next row reverse the patterning such that you are doing 3 dc into the ch1 space made in the last row, skip 2 sts, (dc, ch, dc) in the top of the next stitch. (zoom in on the sweater and you'll see this.)

Despite these being out of a lot of people's price range (and I agree they're expensive), they still seem to be very inexpensive when you consider that these were HAND made. There is no way to crochet by machine!! I wonder how much the crocheters of these got paid, and in what country they live.

That alone would dissuade me from buying one. I just couldn't bear to wear something that was made by some impoverished woman in India or China who got like 50 cents to make it.

BUT .... I can certainly be inspired by these designs to try to make one myself!!! I have already started on the project I described above, which is part inspired by the sweater I linked to and part designing a new sweater myself (because I'm changing the neckline, sleeves, and maybe a couple of other details). Also part inspired by the Dollar and a Half knitted cardigan.

If it comes out nice I'll post pictures later on!! And maybe instructions if I can work them out well enough.

Archived