Tunisian Sweater for Dogs

Erskinelake

Question

Hi All,

I crochet dog sweaters for my local greyhound rescue group and I am looking for a sweater pattern using the tunisian (afghan) stitch. Any chance anybody knows of one? Does not have to be free.

Thanks!

Chris

Ringwood, NJ

10 answers to this question

Hello from another greyhound owner!

I don't have any tunisian patterns to suggest, but love to collaborate with someone to design one. Do you have a basic idea of what you want? I've been looking at pics from various websites and have thought that the crocheted coats need to be made of a tighter weave. Tunisian crochet would definitely work.

Hello from another greyhound owner!

I don't have any tunisian patterns to suggest, but love to collaborate with someone to design one. Do you have a basic idea of what you want? I've been looking at pics from various websites and have thought that the crocheted coats need to be made of a tighter weave. Tunisian crochet would definitely work.

I would love to do that. I have a thought in my head of how to make it possible, now to see if I can do it.

I have a crochet pattern that I bought from Aerie Designs, it's a crochet fisherman cable. Came out beautiful. I'm finishing my 3rd one now. It's a single crochet, nice and tight and works quick. (she donates part of the proceeds to greyhound rescue too) I donated one that brought in $80+ for the greyhound group.

:hiThe Afghan Stitch is simple enough but you would have to graph the type of shape and or design you would like. The 10 squares by 1 inch is your best bet for graphing. Hope this helps:scrachin

I have never designed anything before so much "Thanks" for the graphing idea.

I was thinking on an easy scale 2 long rectangular strips with a little half moon shaping at the back end for the top of the leg and then the opposite corner for shaping around the neck. Then another rectangle that would attach to these and go across the chest. Then maybe several rows of single crochet to blend the 3 pieces together and create a collar. A belly band would finish it off.

Now...it's been 20 years since I did the tunisian stitch. Everything was just a bunch of squares...LOL!! So I have to see if I can do the shaping that is needed. I think the graphing would work great.

Thanks again!!

Chris

hello, found these for you. you may have already seen them but it's a shot. Leisure Arts has 2 books Dog Sweaters #934 and Dashing Doggie Duds #4654 they look cute on the cover.

I'll have to go check these out. I think I might have the # 934 borrowed from a friend. Need to see the Dashing doggie duds.

A lot of the patterns out their seem to cater to small dogs but there are quite a few large dogs that must wear sweaters. I have a Greyhound, Great dane and American bulldog. There is no way the Greyhound or the Great Dane could stay out in cold weather for any amount of time due to the short hair and slim body shape, very little fat. My American Bull Roxie could handle it a little longer because she's overweight but not long.

These dogs are 65# to 125#.

So my mission is to design a stylish, easy big dog sweater.

Keep your fingers crossed.

By my count, this makes four or five greyhound owners here on C'Ville!! I am happy to say I have three....

Woo hoo...I have Lucy, she will be 7 this year. We also adopted an 11 1/2 year old Romeo but sadly he passed 3 months later, but we would do it again, he just needed a home and we know he was happy. They are wonderful dogs and we know 1 of our dogs will always be a greyhound.

Hugs,

Chris

I would love to do that. I have a thought in my head of how to make it possible, now to see if I can do it.

I have a crochet pattern that I bought from Aerie Designs, it's a crochet fisherman cable. Came out beautiful. I'm finishing my 3rd one now. It's a single crochet, nice and tight and works quick. (she donates part of the proceeds to greyhound rescue too) I donated one that brought in $80+ for the greyhound group.

That sounds gorgeous! Do you have a pic that you can share?

Archived