Mohair....and dumb me

yarnyviolet

I have this catalog from Texere Yarns in the UK that actually gives a sample of every yarn so you can feel them and see them. The mohair section has made me realize that the whole size of yarn thing changes with Mohair. The chunky mohair was barely DK but had lots of hairy bits. I looked in my Hooked On Crochet book and apparently mohair is used with a much bigger hook to prevent a matted mess. So a chunky mohair is actually still skinny. I had been scared to crochet mohair as I don't like working with small hooks but now I will have to try it.

Learn something new everyday...

:blush

Rachel

I order from Texere (I live in England) - I don't have a catalog but order from the internet. I find them a good company to deal with.

They have some interesting things - be sure to check out their sales section from time to time!

I've knitted with something mohair-like but haven't tried to crochet it. I've bought some mohair yarn from Ebay and hope it arrives early this coming week.

I've just ordered some mohair also (is this a contagious thing? LOL) and was wondering about crocheting with it.. smart since I've already bid and won it ... lol anyway...

is it difficult to work with? Would a scarf crocheted in a lacy pattern work well with mohair? What have I done?? :faint :spina

I have always been scared of mohair so I haven't actually crocheted it but I think a lacy scarf is exactly what it is best suited for. It is a very feminine yarn in my opinion. I can see it being hard to frog. I however seem to have a magnetic attraction to difficult yarns. I have been using ribbon yarns and this microfibre that splits really bad lately. I am dreading using the black microfibre I have. I am making a poncho with an acrylic wool blend and can't believe how easy it is to work with.:lol

Rachel

Archived